Authrep - Invalid SIN Error Message

I took on a new client and attempted to submit Authrep electronically to CRA. I get error message back stating that SIN is invalid. I confirmed SIN with 2 T4’s and client sent me image of their SIN card and everything matches. Anyone else have this issue. I will call efile helpdesk Monday.

1 Like

I also have problem.

pls advise.

That came up for me a couple of years ago, but I think it was a first-time filer.

You appear to have a different problem.

It is my understanding you have to use the AuthRep from the 2021 T1 module now.
I think it is likely you submitted from an earlier module.

Thank you for your assistance. Authrep was attempted from the 2021 module and resulted in error message.

I received the same message today.

Is this a CRA issue or Taxcycle issue?

Electronic Submission of T1 AuthRep

Electronic submission of authorization requests (AuthRep) from TaxCycle T1 for 2021 will require you update to this release in order to transmit authorization requests starting February 7, 2022. All other T1 electronic filing types remain closed until February 21, 2022.

This would be my first submission since the the new release and after Feb 7.

Did we forget something in the new build?

Well I submitted another AuthRep this morning with no issue so it appears it is not a Taxcycle issue.

I wonder if the report back regarding the SIN problem is not really the problem and it is actually a problem with the name?

Will post back when I get this solved.

EDIT: The report of the invalid SIN ends up being a problem with the spelling of the last name and was accepted once the spelling was adjusted to match what the CRA has on record.

Hello,
This morning, the same error comes up.
image.pngThis is from the T1 Preview.

If you are submitting from the 2021 module I would be out of ideas.

You need to submitting from the 2021 software, any other version is considered unauthorized at this point.

We also had one come back with a T815 error and it ended up being their first name was wrong, not that the SIN was wrong. (we used Jeffrey and CRA had Jeff)

Make sure you have the name exactly as it appeared on their last tax return.

For an authorization request to work, since Monday, February 7, you need to have the latest release, 46016, and transmit it from the T1 2021 module. Without it, you will get error T859, incorrect form version.

As for the error about an invalid SIN, CRA is now returning a single message, T815, that covers the SIN as well as the first and last name of the client. Each of these must match what they have on file.
The next update will have a revised text for T815 provided to us by CRA: “The taxpayer information entered does not match our records. Please verify the information and try again.”

1 Like

One tip to check the name is to try and generate the signing page via Represent a Client in a browser. If the name or SIN is wrong it won’t even let you generate a signing page. This is also useful for corporations.

2 Likes

That is a nice hack.

I wish I had known that or had thought of it a few weeks back.
I had to find a sympathetic CRA rep to glean a little information.to get what turned out be a first name matching problem.

Ohh…good one!! Have been caught on that once or twice.

Another name issue I discovered when I logged into RAC today: they arbitrarily changed my RepID surname to match the one one my tax return at some point over the past few days.
I have ALWAYS used my maiden name professionally so that was an hour or so on the phone getting that change reversed…cannot be done online!

Problem is solved. I contacted CRA and SIN is in fact correct. CRA advised me to obtain middle initial from client, and also advised that the first name was doubled up in the last name area. For example, John Canada was reading as John John Canada. Made corrections and Authrep has been processed.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Have noticed in the past that it can be very tricky to get AuthRep through…I now always request a copy of the last NoA or other correspondence from CRA in a (hopefully not vain) attempt to get it right on the first try.

The other thing that they are picky about is addresses: the use Canada Post’s address database which is often not what …Canada Post itself uses!

eg. to CRA: all of Lasqueti Island in BC is “General Delivery”. But Canada Post actually uses real addresses. Rural areas in SK are another nightmare.

Yes. It went through after I updated the software version. Thanks for your time.

I also have this problem!!! I have had it happen twice now and yet the client has confirmed multiple times and has filed taxes for years under that SIN :frowning: I did file one and the SIN was fine then i went to file his wife and it said her SIN was not vaild. I am happy to know its not just me but i hope it can get fixed soon!

Did you run the SIN through a MOD-10 check? Easiest way to ensure that at least it complies with the structure, even if not applicable to the person. (TC does this automatically, but you have to watch for the error to flag.)

Obviously if the person has a “MOD-10 valid” number, but it’s not actually their SIN, they have a different problem.