AuthRep

I electronically submitted the Authrep for a client through Taxcycle. The result appears successful. I get a Code T835:

Thank you for using the e-submission service. Your submission has been accepted and will be processed shortly. Here is your confirmation number: 2019xxxxxx. Please retain it for your record. Please ensure to retain a copy of the signed and dated signature page in your files. Do not send it to us by mail or fax unless requested to do so. Prior to being updated as a representative, the authorization(s) must adhere to CRA policies and procedures. Once the online authorization has been processed, you can view your client’s name in your client list via the Represent a Client online service. Questions regarding the processing of the authorization should be directed to Individual Income Tax Enquiries at 1-800-959-8281.

I go to do an AFR, and CRA reports that I don’t have authorization. I wait a few days to AFR again; still, the CRA says I don’t have authorization. That same day, I submit an AuhRep for a different client and do an AFR, and I have instant access.

I decide to resend the AuthRep. Looks good, get the code T835 and a new confirmation number. Do an AFR, CRA reports I don’t have authorization.

I log on to RAC and look at the client list, and the client is not listed there. I try and use the Authorize Representative through the RAC account, put their SIN in, First and Last name and I get an error code this time: T911 on the SIN field:

Error: field is not valid for this service. (T911)

I call the 1-800-959-8281 number as instructed, and they tell me that I get to wait for over two hours.

Has anybody ever dealt with this happening? And if so, what was the issue and what steps needed to be taken to correct it?

What is the error message in TaxCycle when the AFR is refused? This will happen if you are filing one where the CRA are missing information - I experienced it 3 times this season. One was for an estate where the executor’s information wasn’t on file yet. The next one was for a parent filing for a teen child that wasn’t capable of filing herself. The third one was for a granddaughter filing for grandmother the first time but the power of attorney had not yet been accepted.

This currently is an issue because all of those documents are being stockpiled due to COVID-19 - it isn’t considered an essential service so the people who would normally do the processing are seconded to other areas in CRA or just sent home. Normal processing time is 4 weeks - current processing time is any one’s guess.

The only remedy seems to be to wait - that is my approach. There are no penalties currently and if there will be later, I would file a Taxpayer Relief.

I have experienced something similar but without the code, that h

@cory I know this was a long time ago but how did you end up resolving this? It has now happened to me. Taxcyle is saying that the Authrep transmission was successful (code T835- which is the same code I get for all my successful submissions) but I don’t have access. It’s been a couple of days already.
Thanks

You’ll have access once CRA processes the missing information such as a will for the personal representative/executor, power of attorney papers, trustee documents, etc. Wills may take 2-6 weeks to process depending on the time of year.

This is just for a regular individual signing on her own behalf. No will or power of attorney needed. I received immediate access for her husband but I don’t have access to her.

I have had this happen on a few accounts this year.

She was likely caught up in the security breach.

Easiest way to get activated is the have the client, if they have access to My Account, enter your BN direct.

1 Like

I agree with @Arliss

Instant access for most Authreps but no access for those that had their accounts suspended in the latest security breach.

Thank you. If her account has been suspended, I am not sure she will be able to log into CRA My Account and add me. But I have reached out to her anyway. In this case, are you asking clients to call in and resolve the issues with their accounts or are you sitting on hold for 2 hours to fix them?

My understanding is the client can create a new user id and password, or use another sign-in method such as their online banking partner to regain access to their account. Supposedly impacted clients received either an email or Canada post mail with instructions.

I don’t think everyone needs to call the CRA to have their account reset… just if the other methods don’t work.

I have same issue this year, then I called CRA and they explained me that my client suppose to authorize me but he did not responded in the time limit and CRA suspended the authorization. They told me to submit another one. CRA randomly ask permission from the client to accept us as their rep.