AuthRep form transmitted - but no access - ERR.051

Anyone else having an issue with online access after transmitting the AuthRep forms? The two instances I transmitted AuthRep forms for different clients I received an error when trying to AFR and/or access through My Represent a Client. Typically access is instant.

In the first instance I figured the couple had moved and hadn’t updated their address with CRA. I’ve had in the past where CRA ‘locks’ an account if correspondence is returned to them, and doesn’t unlock it until the taxpayer updates their mailing address. However, it happened a second time when I tried to access a child first time filer which wouldn’t have the address issue.

CRA typically doesn’t provide AuthRep access to a 1st time filer account until AFTER they have at least ONE tax return filed. CRA needs information to validate who is accessing the account information, such as Line 15000 or Line 23600. CRA doesn’t have this data until an initial tax return has been filed. That’s my experience.

That happened to me on the weekend. So the last time I tried was with the error was April21. I tried with the same client and it worked on April22.

I even went direct to CRA. It appears to be a CRA issue.

If you check the AuthRep Results page in TaxCycle it gives the following information:

W861 - We are currently experiencing technical difficulties updating our electronically submitted authorizations. You can continue to submit your requests electronically. The authorizations will be updated as applicable when the technical difficulties have been resolved. The authorization/cancellation requests will not need to be sent a second time.

1 Like

The AuthRep must be completed with the name on the SIN card or letter.

I have access to 2 first time files, including AFR BEFORE filing.

I’m encountering the same problem today Apr 22/2024

I had never looked at this report. Thank you for that. I had the same error message.

I tried again a few hours later and I was able to access their accounts.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m lucky I don’t recall having this issue in recent memory. But I do feel as though I’ve encountered that in the past.

I typically don’t request the AuthRep for kids who are first time filers except on rare occasions where we suspect there may be missing tax slips from what they gave me. Even in year two or three, if I’ve done the prior year returns, I still sometimes hold of the AuthRep when I know I have all their slips. It varies by family and how reliant they are in giving me the documentation required.

If it is a single slip I don’t bother with AuthRep otherwise I always try to get it. I find in the majority of cases I don’t get all of the slips for young people, especially students. They miss T4As and T4s and often there is a delay in getting the T2202s from them and now that CRA is getting more reliable at getting the T2202 information online it is quite handy. I find younger people often have multiple T4s and I fairly frequently get comments, “we’re waiting for them to get xxx T4 in the mail”. Which I can then let them know I can access and move forward with the returns.

I got the same error last night for a new client. I know it’s not her first time filing. She’s almost 80. Someone at CRA is playing with our heads to do this in the last week.

Try during the day

I also submitted AuthRep forms for a couple on April 22nd. The husband’s worked no issue. The wife’s said it was successful. No error message. but AFR and RAC not working. I called EFILE helpdesk and they told me that it appears to be a CRA issue as they were getting a lot of calls. But I have no idea when this access will be obtained. The taxpayer has OAS and CPP but did not provide the slips. This is extremely frustrating!

Same issue I am facing, I submitted husband and wife’s AuthRep On April 22, 2024. Wife’s Authrep worked but as for the husband’s AuthRep, the submission of which was acknowledged with a message that it will take three working days to process and no need to resubmit. It is still in pending, I can’t download husband’s tax slip information till the Authrep is approved by the CRA. My client is a senior person and seriously sick he couldn’t provide physical copies of all his pension tax slips. Called the CRA but no proper answer as yet. Don’t know what to do.

I had the same thing happen last evening. I thought it might be a CRA computer thing too so decided to wait and try again this morning. No luck.

Called CRA E-file help line. Was initially told that they’re having problems with their computers (again). This representative took the SINs of the clients and looked. Turns out it was the clients that had activated additional security that requires them to contact CRA to allow me access to their accounts. Apparently, filing the 1013 gave me proximate level 1 access despite filing level 2. I might be able to file their returns for them but I’m not granted access to view their accounts or use AFR services.

CRA will be sending them a letter confirming that they intended to give me access but that won’t arrive till long after the Apr 30 deadline.

The solution is the clients (only the clients) have to call the general help-line (and wait the approximate 2 hours) to speak with a rep to grant me access.

Oh, that is good information to know! I can ask if my client knows if they set up this extra layer of security… I am wondering if it would work for them to add you as a Representative through their My Account instead.

Yeah. I had nothing come through with two clients. I checked CRA and it was there.
Also tried transmitting a T2209 and it did not go thrown and resulted in a bigger payment.

I asked that specific question and was told that they have to call in, no other way around it.

Yes, I have had a few this month. Usually we get immediate access once the AuthRep is filed, though I know it’s not guaranteed. Even “first time filers” usually have no issue. But this year…

In one case, the client started to freak out because her previous tax preparer had had access via RAC and she had never set up her “My Account”. I filed the AuthRep, but still couldn’t get access online or via AFR. When I tried to help her set up her own login (My Account) there was some weird error, so we started to think there had been some nefarious activity on her account. But, she called CRA and got it straightened out - using the immediate verification method (photo of her drivers license, then photo of herself, etc). Once she had logged in, she was able to authorize me online. Nice that CRA now has a method where you don’t have to wait for a security code in the mail.

In another case, I just had to wait 3 or 4 days - this was a “first time filer”.

In another case, another “first time filer”, the AuthRep wouldn’t go through, and I suspect the name on his SIN card was not the same as what was on his drivers license and T4 slips, etc (which all had different variations of his name. The client couldn’t find his SIN card, so I told him to phone CRA to verify the name. CRA couldn’t (or wouldn’t) verify it even when given other details (SIN, birthdate, what name was on other documents). CRA told him to file on paper (so we did).

Service Canada creates the SIN, so calling them at 1-866-274-6627 should help.