Last Updated: December 2, 2020
Effective Date: January 1, 2021
Trilogy Software Inc. ("Trilogy"/"we"/"us"/"our") is committed to protecting your privacy. We make the websites www.taxcycle.com, www.taxfolder.com, www.dossierfiscal.com and www.protaxcommunity.com and any subdomains of the foregoing (the "Website") as well as professional tax preparation software and related cloud services for accountants and bookkeepers for users in North America (the "Services"). As you use our Services, we want you to be clear how we are using information and the ways in which we protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information and when we disclose it.
- How to access and update your personal information.
Your privacy matters to us so please take the time to familiarize yourself with our policies, and if you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND WHO WE ARE
Please note that the Website and the Services are intended for business use and not for use by minors. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you are a minor in your jurisdiction, please do not: use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features; use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website; or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a minor, we will delete that information.
This Website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share information about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our Website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
2. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Personal data or personal information has the specific meaning given by the applicable legislation. Generally, it means any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified. It does not include data which is not related to an identifiable person (anonymized data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal information which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and/or Services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your device’s unique ID number, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating systems and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this Website and Services.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your location, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our Website, app(s) and Services, such as the buttons, controls, products and ads you click on, pages of our application or Website that you visit, the time spent on those pages, your search queries, the dates and times of your visits, but also about the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Website or app(s), and the webpage or app(s) you go to next.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
- Client Data includes any personal information regarding your clients that may be included in any information that you submit through the Services.
We may in certain instances receive tax return files from you that contain additional kinds of personal information about your clients. These files are sent to us with your permission where you subscribe to use cloud-hosted, web-based products offered by Trilogy. We access and use such files in providing services to you, including to assist in diagnosing software issues.
If you fail to provide personal information
Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with our Services). In this case, we may have to cancel a Service you have with us, but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
3. HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
We use different methods to collect data from and about you, including through:
Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- sign up for a demo of our software or Services;
- create an account and profile with us;
- purchase one of our Services;
- subscribe to our email alerts;
- complete one of our online forms to receive our reports and case studies;
- download our software;
- access one of our help topics or videos;
- contact our customer service;
- agree to share your screen with our customer service agents;
- provide web or in-product logs to our customer service agents;
- participate in our online or in-person training;
- post to our online community;
- participate in our opinion surveys;
- enter in any contests we may offer;
- request marketing to be sent to you or
- give us feedback.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal information about you from various third parties and public sources as set out below:
Technical Data from the following types of sub-processors:
- analytics providers, such as Google Analytics;
- search information providers, such as Google.
- Contact, Financial and Transaction Data from providers of technical, payment and delivery services.
- Your Client Data is only collected by us when you submit information on your clients (if applicable) to us through the Services (including through any file storage service on your local device or through a cloud-based storage provider), when you send a client file to us for review by email or another feedback mechanism, or when you grant us permission to collect information directly from the Canada Revenue Agency. This information may include information such as Social Insurance Numbers, birth dates, tax returns, financial information, tax return information, fund names and other similar information. We use this information solely for the purpose of providing you with the Services. We do not collect your Client Data from any other source. You control what Client Data we collect and may change your preferences at any time.
4. HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal information uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. You may elect to opt out of receiving any further marketing or advertising emails from us through the mechanism provided in those emails.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by contacting us. Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not generally apply to communications required to provide the Services or the use of personal information provided to us as a result of a service purchase, service experience or other transactions.
Your IP address is reported by your web browser whenever you visit a page on the Website. This information is recorded together with your registration information on our databases.
5. DISCLOSURES OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may have to share your personal information with the following parties set out below for the purposes described in section 4, above.
- Third Party categories as set out below:
- Service providers who provide IT and system administration services.
- Consultants in the field of software, systems and security
- Social networking sites to which you have linked your account.
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers based in Canada who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
- Regulators and other government authorities who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
We require all third parties to respect the privacy and security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
6. DATA RESIDENCY
7. DATA SECURITY
We use commercially reasonable efforts to store and maintain your Personal Information in a secure environment. We have implemented procedures designed to limit the dissemination of your Personal Information to only such designated staff as are reasonably necessary to carry out the stated purposes we have communicated to you. You are also responsible for helping to protect the security of your Personal Information. For instance, never give out your password, and remember to log out of your account and close your browser window when you have finished using the Website, so that other people using the same computer will not have access to your Personal Information.
8. DATA RETENTION
We will only retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of performing a contract with you and for satisfying any legal, audit, accounting, or reporting requirements or obligations which apply to us.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
9. ACCESS AND ACCURACY
You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you in order to verify the Personal Information we have collected in respect to you and to have a general account of our uses of that information. Upon receipt of your written request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information although in certain limited circumstances, we may not be able to make all relevant information available to you such as where that information also pertains to another user. We will endeavour to deal with all requests for access and modifications in a timely manner.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up to date. As appropriate, this amended Personal Information will be transmitted to those parties to which we are permitted to disclose your information. Having accurate Personal Information about you enables us to give you the best possible service.
10. AMENDMENT OF THIS POLICY
11. CONTACT US
You can help by keeping us informed of any changes, such as a change of address or telephone number. If you would like to access your information, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, or if you find any errors in our information about you, please contact us by one of the methods set out below:
Our full details are
Trilogy Software Inc.
Email address: email@example.com
Postal address: Trilogy Software Inc., 800 – 1333 8 ST SW, Calgary, AB, T2R 1M6
Telephone number: 1-888-841-3040
If you have a complaint concerning our compliance with applicable privacy laws, we will investigate your complaint and if it is justified, we will take appropriate measures. You may also have the right to make a complaint at any time to your local supervisory authority for data protection issues. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the regulator so please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.