T1 Printing

I have some clients who cannot be eFiled and a paper T1 needs to be sent to CRA.
I am unable to get the CRA Condensed to appear when I try to print the client file. What do I need to do to get it to appear in my print options?
Additionally, one of the returns is for someone who has died intestate. I need to remove my eFiler number and any other firm identification from the submission. How do I do that?

On the EFILE Worksheet - Question 14 - Select Yes

What makes you think you have to remove your firm id?

Thank you.

The gentleman (not a client) died without a will. His long-time fiancee (who is a client) asked me to prepare the final return.
The condensed return will be filed with a copy of the death certificate but without a signature - basically for CRA’s information.
There is no tax owing.

if you prepare the return, you have to identify yourself, even on pro bono work…

1 Like

Agree with Bert.

Also, “fiancee” has no authority to ask you to do anything in respect of the deceased

Also, CRA has separate forms the fiancee can use.(varies by province, as I recall).

Also, fiancee can easily make a court application to be appointed administrator.

Also, if there is a refund, you could potentially be in serious trouble for facilitating a refund going to a wrong person.

Could you share the proper procedure with us, please? A link, etc?

Proper procedure Link?

Proper procedure for a person in the position of pfs is to do nothing (no authorized engagement), so no link

Proper procedure for a person in the position of fiancee is to speak to their lawyer, so no link.

I was wondering if this long term fiancee might actually be a common law partner?

Long-time fiancee was definitely NOT a common-law partner.

Neither deceased nor fiancee had(have) a lawyer. His only income was OAS, GIS and small CPP. He lived in a small rented apartment. There is no estate. There is no refund or money owing.
The money is not available to hire a lawyer and to make an application to the courts.

“CRA has separate forms the fiancee can use.(varies by province, as I recall).” -joe.justice1
What forms?
I did contact CRA as to the proper procedure several years ago. This is what they told me to do. That was back in the days when you could actually contact CRA and speak to a CRA employee who had some knowledge.

Sometimes us little people just do what needs to be done. I would do what you have suggested but would not attempt to remove your firm name from the filing. The other alternative would be to print it and have your client handwrite (copy) it.

1 Like

Legal aid/pro bono lawyer?
Public Guardian and trustee confirmed as the Legal Representative?
Who dealt with his remains?
Who paid the funeral home?
Who had legal access (and/or stole) the contents of his bank account and/or other assets?
Who has applied for the cpp death benefit?

Maybe the Public Guardian and Trustee will hire you, or maybe they have their own CPAs?

At this stage, effectively you are reading an obituary notice of some person in the newspaper, and deciding to file a tax return for that stranger.

What ‘separate forms’ are available through CRA that the fiancee can use?

Certain statuary declaration forms, varies by province.
However, a girlfriend/fiancee might not have standing to use them.

And in any case, that does not necessarily assist your problem. The deceased and his estate is not your client.

Is there a reason why the fiancee is so very reluctant to actuality do it properly?

My starting assumption based on what you have posted and not posted is that she has no legal authority in the estate whatsoever, and certainly no authority to wheedle you into being an accomplice.

I would stay well clear of it, if I were you. Unless somebody (Lawyer? Public Guardian?) can provide you with some documentation.

If you could be more specific about these statuary declaration forms, it would be helpful.

The fiancee is over 65, has a long-standing disability and does not have the mental or physical ability to deal with the bureaucracy. Additionally, as I stated before, the funds are lacking. Legal aid was mentioned earlier, but that is extremely limited in our area.

I have known both these people for many years. His death was sudden and unexpected. It has devastated his already fragile fiancee. He has no family. She is the only one to look after all the details of an estate with non-existent assets.

The filing of a final tax return, unsigned, was the recommendation of CRA.

This might help the fiancee. She’ll need an Affidavit since there’s no will.

Afterwards, the fiancee will have the authority to deal with the final T1.

Well… what CRA are referring to is the relationship between the affiant and CRA -

That still leaves open the question as to who has the legal authority to hire a tax preparer, and any liability arising therefrom…
Also, from that guide: (page 3)
If you are a family member of the deceased and unable to obtain the legal documents required to establish yourself as the legal representative, complete the Affidavit form in accordance with the province or territory of the deceased”
A “friend /girlfriend / fiancee” is, of course, not a “family member” (nor an intestate heir).
For indigent persons, the Public Guardian and Trustee might help.

Also, the local law society should be able to refer to a local lawyer who might offer limited pro-bono assistance for an indigent deceased.

I have encountered more than one where there are no heirs. The $2,500 goes toward funeral expenses.