T1 Printing

Some “handshake deals” are lucky enough not to see the inside of a courtroom, its true…
It also very often happens that persons with no lawful rights to benefit scramble to grab the deceased’s possessions, tax refunds, death benefits, etc, seeing it as “easy prey” when the unfortunate deceased person is no longer around…
It’s also common that a will actually does exist, but “disappears”…

This is the one for someone who died without naming an executor. No reference to family member that I can see.

What is the number of the form used when the deceased had a will? Does the will need to be notarized to be accepted?

The issues addressed in this thread are speciality legal issues, which potentially could have very significant repercussions.

I doubt that lawyers would be obtaing significant legal advice from reddit, Wikipedia, etc, or recommend others to do so.

Professional Accountants are required to refer or defer to those who have competance in a particular area, particularly when the scope of an area is in another discipline (eg estate law).

Thus I would refer the friend/fiancee accordingly. Also, bearing in mind the complete paucity of any documentation, reluctance to provide same would cause me to remain “hands-off” this stranger deceased non-client.

(Wills don’t have form numbers, nor do court orders)

Once again, @joe.justjoe1, you are taking everything to the extreme. I don’t see any references to Reddit or Wikipedia and I don’t see where anyone recommended others to do so. This is really not very helpful when you just make fun of us when we ask questions, or offer our opinion. That, I believe, is the purpose of the forum. It is not to obtain free legal advice.

2 Likes

Obhorst, are you asserting that the questions being askef here are neither (1) about specific legal issues or are (2) on the internet?

The proper question to ask on this forum could perhaps be:
A friend of my client may have died recently.
My client does not know anything about his legal matters.
To whom should this friend/fiancee be referred?

I am asserting that no one mentioned Reddit or Wikipedia or advised others to do so. The references I saw appeared to be from the CRA website. Personally, I just commented on what I have dome myself and might work for someone else.

By suggesting the questions which you noted, you are being helpful.

RC552-20e seem to be for family members even though the form itself does not say so.

CRA has a link to this form here: Affidavit form for intestate situations - Canada.ca. This info page is for family members. But just because this page is for family members doesn’t necessarily mean the form is for family members only.

What I would do is have the fiancée call the CRA and explain the situation. She should be prepared to explain that she was not in a common-law relationship though.
They might say that the form can be used by her. Who knows.

The very first sentence on the very first line of the page in that cra link says:

" If you are a family member of the deceased who died intestate (no will), you can complete Form RC552.…"
I do note the absence of a sentence stating:
“If you are an acquaintance or friend of a deceased and would like to steal his refund, you can complete form rc552…”. :innocent:

Maybe CRA’s suggestion that the return gets sent in without a signature works best after all. (Not sure what address they would like to see.) Doubt there’s a refund in the senior was on GIS.

2 Likes

I agree Joe that is probably what they mean, but since it doesn’t say “ONLY if you are a family member” you can’t really be 100% sure.
For example “If your car is red you can enter” doesn’t exclude blue cars. Blue cars would be excluded if it would say “Only if your car is red you can enter.”

2 Likes

Well, you could always get the answer from the applicants lawyer or the court …

Thank you SO much for this form. It certainly will look after many of these situations.