RRSP from AFR

When using the quick fix to update the RRSP deduction to match AFR, the diagnostic is not clearing and has to be manually signed off after using the quick fix. Since they match after using the quick fix, shouldn’t the diagnostic clear?

Can you send a sample file for me to look at?

We are running 11.1.46117.0 and didn’t get the auto-update notification yet for the most current version.
I will wait until the update is installed in case it is no longer a problem.

Seems to be with the elderly.

I haven’t paid enough attention but it might be those past the age of potential contribution.

We have determined what the issue is:
The amount from line 1 on the RRSP schedule is not flowing down line 12. Line 12 should either have line 1 or line 10 + line 11. But nothing is flowing to box 12. So both line 1 and line 12 end up with a diagnostic. The quick fix put the amount in line 1, but line 12 remains blank.

As with Arliss, we are noticing this on taxpayers over 71 who technically cannot make any contributions. But it does cause an issue if there are unclaimed contributions since and empty line 12 prevents the deduction.

@Cameron let me know if you still need a file. This is happening on a lot of our files so it isn’t an isolated glitch.

I am seeing the same issues for clients over 71.
If the taxpayers are married or common law it only happens if both spouses are over 71.
If the client is single, widowed, separated, or divorced, it happens if the client is over 71.

If the client is over 71 but is married with a spouse under 71 then everything is fine.

It seems TaxCycle is correctly calculating the RRSP limit to be zero for a client who can no longer contribute anymore (even though CRA shows a limit), however, the quick fix is not really appropriate, so you need to sign off. There should be a better way of handling this, as I find it happening often now.

This has not happened in prior years, so something changed in the software.

I think the solution for TaxCycle would be to compare the RRSP limit from AFR with only line 1 of the 2021 RRSP Deduction Limit section of the RRSP Contributions Worksheet, but not with line 12 when deciding whether the Client’s Limit on the worksheet matches with AFR. I believe that if the client is over 71 and has no spouse (or the spouse is over 71) then line 12 should correctly be zero, but TaxCycle should not use line 12 (2021 RRSP Deduction limit before adjustment) in it’s comparison with the RRSP limit imported via AFR.

1 Like

I agree with what you have said with one exception:
If the taxpayer and the spouse are over 71 and the taxpayer has contribution room AND undeducted contributions carrying forward from when they were allowed to contribute, Line 12 should be the lower of the contribution room from Line 1 and the amount of undeducted contributions.

1 Like

Yes, sorry I agree with you @matthew
If the client had unused contributions that were made before they were 71 then absolutely, they are still deductible to the extent they would otherwise (except for their age) have contribution room.

Rather than sending in a file here are some screenshots of the problem.
TaxCycle Quickfix doesn’t solve the problem.

and

1 Like

Sorry, the screen shots don’t help - I believe you, and I’m happy to look into it. However, I need the rest of the context of the file to fix the problem.

I tried with taxpayers under and over 71, so my simple scenarios both worked. That means there is something else that is impacting the review message.

I did e-courier a file to info@taxcyle for you to work with.

I can seem to get this issue to happen with almost any file that I want.

For instance; For the sake of troubleshooting this morning I carried forward and AFR’d a file for a single person who is 25 years old. Everything was fine, the RRSP on AFR matched the RRSP limit in the worksheet. I then went and changed the client’s year of birth to 1943 (making them over 71) and that review message about RRSP not matching with AFR immediately appeared. When I changed the client’s date of birth TaxCycle cleared out the RRSP limit on the worksheet to zero on line 1 and 12. When I applied the “Quick Fix” it populated line 1 with the RRSP limit obtained from AFR but line 12 on the worksheet was still zero. The yellow diagnostic error messages remained after applying the quick fix.

2 Likes

Noticing this on more files as well now with the new release seemingly.

1 Like

We published a known issue about this later yesterday afternoon…

Known Issue: Message Shows Although RRSP Deduction Limit Matches AFR | TaxCycle

Your screen captures @matthew don’t match AFR, but it sounds like the same problem.

1 Like

I just updated my TaxCycle this morning and the issue has disappeared. :slightly_smiling_face:

Even the review message sign offs have disappeared, so I guess this has been addressed in

Thanks!

[edit]
Upon further testing and as suggested by @Rein and @matthew Issue has disappeared for some clients (over 71), but still showing up for others now.
Will follow the workaround suggested by Elizabeth in “Known Issues” until next release.
[/edit]

Since installing 11.1.46243.0 yesterday I get a RRSP message that the value does not match with AFR even though it does. And clicking “Use value from AFR” doesn’t take it away.

Yes. That’s the issue described in this post

Known Issue: Message Shows Although RRSP Deduction Limit Matches AFR | TaxCycle

1 Like

I updated to 11.1.46243.0 this morning. It is still happening for me. The only change I am seeing is that it is happening on people under 71, even though Line 1 and Line 12 have the same amount as AFR.

2 Likes

Same here - never had a problem until I updated to 11.1.46243.0 today.

I only experienced the issue with clients over 71 years of age until I took this latest update. Now it seems the issue is happening with almost all files, except those clients over 71.

I thought it was only me. It’s in every file I have with RRSPs. Hope it’s fixed in the next update.

We have looked at this issue and believe we have it solved - it will be available in our next update coming within a week.

~ Rob

2 Likes