GST Return in T1 module

I’m wondering if someday we might see a GST return worksheet integrated into the T1 module? We do a number of GST returns for our self employed clients, and right now we just use a GST working copy (much like this https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/migration/cra-arc/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/bspsbch/rtrns/wrkngcp-eng.pdf) to print and include a copy of this with the client’s copy of their tax return. (we still file the GST return through represent a client after the client has given us approval)

If this GST working copy was built into the T1 module, we could have it automatically included in the print sets, and have the balance pull through to correspondence etc., all without requiring any additional manual input.

EDIT: As there seems to be some confusion, I’m not suggesting a GST form that automatically pulls information from a T2125 and calculates the amount owing. All I’m suggesting is a fillable copy of the return, much like the GST66 form that is included with the T3010 charity return module.

1 Like

Great idea. I only do 5 self employed returns but your suggestion would be a very helpful addition if it had the ability to exclude non HST purchases or expenses…

This would be a bit of a head-scratch for me - I cannot see how this would have anything to do with a T1 income tax return for income tax filing software?
The numbers for value added tax come from different places.

Also, for clients who have income such that they are GST registrants, the accountant must also be preparing a spreadsheet already among their working papers for that client, for support, not so?

IMHO, much easier just to have a spreadsheet template tab for GST in one of those workbooks - also much more powerful for additional checks and analysis in a spreadsheet…

Or perhaps the clients are (gasp) actually keeping their books properly on accounting software?

I don’t think we’re on the same page in terms of what I’m suggesting. Maybe I was a bit misleading.

We have spreadsheets to calculate GST amounts that make up the total GST collected and input tax credits. We also prepare a GST return (like what i posted with the link) and provide it to the client as part of their package.

What I’m suggesting is that the final GST return is a form thats accessible in Tax Cycle, instead of us preparing it separately and manually adding it to client packages. You say it has nothing to do with T1s, but I disagree with that entirely. The T3010 module has applications for GST rebates integrated, and this is no different.

1 Like

“…and provide it to the client as part of their package.”

Whilst I can see that a value-added-tax working paper could be part of management supporting documentation provided to a client as part of their “financial Statement package” and “bookkeeping”, I cannot see any nexus of that to a personal income tax return.

A macro in a spreadsheet can automate your gst working paper to a one-click exercise, if desired.

IMHO it would be desirable to distinctly separate any such reports in the clients mind and in the working papers. I would think that any links between that and an income tax return could potentially be quite dangerous.

I have to agree with Joe on this one. You can’t have balances “pull through” from a T2125 to a GST return, because there are too many things that are GST-exempt but income-taxable, or vice-versa. For example, I have several self-employed clients that receive tips on their services - this is taxable income, but GST exempt.

I also can’t see a strong reason to provide paper (fillable) GST returns to anyone these days. Why don’t you get the client to authorize you to file their GST returns online? Then, print the complete/filed GST return (as it appears on the CRA website) to give to the client?

Agree… this would be of no value to me either, I file thru Rep a client, provide to client, keep my own separate spreadsheet or accounting software notes on the GST/HST again… 5%, 13%, 15% depends on where sale or expense happened… this can get quite complex and by over simplifying it, could lead to errors.

This topic is getting a bit derailed on the idea of a form that automatically calculates the GST return based on numbers from the T2125. That’s not in any way what I’m suggesting. All I’m suggesting is a fillable GST return built into the module that I can put the final GST numbers in, and provide to my clients as part of their package. This is no different than the T3010 module having the GST66 form built in.

in response to your note:
I also can’t see a strong reason to provide paper (fillable) GST returns to anyone these days. Why don’t you get the client to authorize you to file their GST returns online? Then, print the complete/filed GST return (as it appears on the CRA website) to give to the client?

We do file the vast majority of our GST returns through represent a client (probably 99.9%). The problem with your suggestion, is that we print our clients’ entire tax returns prior to them giving us approval to file. Then when they come in to pick up their return everything is ready to go for them, and they sign the forms and we file. So I’m not able to print and include the completed GST return from CRA in the client package, since it hasn’t actually been filed at that point. Instead, we prepare the GST return in a draft form, much like this https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/migration/cra-arc/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/bspsbch/rtrns/wrkngcp-eng.pdf and print and include it with the client package.

1 Like

@brian1
Ah. I see what you mean. I misunderstood, I think, because you mentioned “pulling balances” in your initial post. I’m guessing that there aren’t a lot of TaxCycle customers who would find it useful to have that “GST working copy” form available in the T1 module. That said, I have never used a GST-66 form either, but it is an actual form used for filing, so maybe that’s the difference? Maybe TaxCycle could include the GST-34 form instead of the “working copy”?

1 Like

Thank you, GST-34 that’s the form I was thinking of!

I like the idea just from a standpoint of being able to get a client signature to acknowledge the GST return prior to filing for self employed that we are using TF for signatures.

1 Like

That is exactly what we do. Then once we have the return signed we file electronically through represent a client.

It is self-evident that a gst (value added tax) return has nothing whatsoever to do with an income tax return.

Completely different things should not be conflated.

Strong vote against.

Well, @joe.justjoe1, we do income tax for all types of customers. I have clients where I prepare the HST return from the same documents that I use to prepare the income tax. Maybe they have nothing to do with each other but CRA obviously compares HST returns and income tax returns to check for differences in income reported so I would say from my experience that the it is self evident that the two are closely related.

1 Like

Maybe have that as part of the forms package

Perhaps a review of bookkeeping procedures would improve matters …

The clients source documents are common, that is true.
(Books and records, Section 230 etc).
But one does not co-mingle the different procedures, processes and purposes…

Analyse by Spreadsheet is efficient.

And the same spreadsheet yields the information for both tax returns. Sometimes I process in bookkeeping software but still get the information for both.

Yes, it can be said that the client’s source documentation is the same…
IMHO, Taxcycle T1 should not have anything at all do do with bookkeeping processes, S230 compliance, any ETA (GST) compliance, payroll reporting, Provincial Sales Tax reporting, Business Audit, Import tax reporting, other Excise tax reporting, or for making coffee…

It has one job, and we would like that one job to be done well, and stay that way, without distraction…

I agree with joe on this one. To achieve the result you are asking for, I print the return to PDF and add the GST PDF at the end. Combining PDF’s is easy to do in nearly all PDF software these days.

What you’re describing is exactly how we currently do things. I’m not sure why you would be against a built in form that simplifies and automates the printing of the return and combining it into the finished package. Just because I can do it another way doesn’t mean that there isn’t a better way. Any time saved for me and my firm during tax season is worth it in my opinion.

In any event, it’s a suggestion for the developers. If you don’t think you would make use of something like this, then you don’t have to use it. There are numerous features in Tax Cycle that our firm has no need for, but I’m sure other firms find very helpful. I’m just thankful for the fact that Tax Cycle has such a dedicated team that actually listens to their users’ issues, complaints and suggestions.

3 Likes