Changing client choices via Represent a client

I have a T1 client who would like to switch back to snail mail from CRA. Can I do that through Represent a Client?

You definitely can’t. I don’t think that the client can do this through My Account either.

I think that the client has to call and say that they no longer want the notices electronically. Perhaps state that they know that they will be moving into an assisted care facility within the next year. They want to ensure that the children can access the paper notices when they can no longer take care of their affairs.

There are other “stories” that could be used, but try to go with the least alarming. For instance, don’t go saying that their email has been hacked. That is a good way to lock the account down for everyone.

So, last July, I created a form letter to CRA for clients asking CRA to go back to snail mail with a cover email from me telling the client to sign and mail to CRA Winnipeg. Sent the first one out then and resent it a month ago to the same client. I’ve probably used it 8 or 10 times. That original client just told me she got an email from CRA telling me she’ll be getting snail mail now.
That shouldn’t feel like a major achievement but it does!

1 Like