Access Code

Is there any way to file tax slips and GST/HST returns without asking customer for their personal or business related web access code?
I was reading about transmitter’s WAC (web access code) and called CRA but they said I have to ask your customer’s WAC and can not provide one WAC to file customers returns.
If it is possible, can anyone explain me the process?
Thanks in advance.

You can file T4’s for you client through TaxCycle has long as you are an E-Filer. No need for WAC codes.

You can file HST returns through Represent a Client. Just get their authorization as a Rep.

I tend to just file the T4’s/T5’s through my own “My Business Account” payroll section as I don’t have the T4 program with TaxCycle. I make sure I use the client’s business number and not mine. It bypasses the need for a WAC. Works for GST/HST, all T4/T5/NR4 type slips.

Slip filing, income tax filing, and GST/HST filing are 3 different systems, each with their own filing protocols and requirements.

Slip filing (T4s/T5s, etc) requires you to a have “Transmitter Number” - which is obtained through the EFILE helpdesk. Once you have a Transmitter Number, you also need a WAC in order to file slips through TaxCycle. However, any WAC will do (it doesn’t need to be the client’s WAC). In TaxCycle options, there are fields to enter your Transmitter Number and your OWN WAC, and TaxCycle will then use that info for all slip filing you do on behalf of clients.

GST/HST can be filed either through Represent a Client (if the client has authorized you as their rep), or via GST/HST Netfile - using the client’s WAC. I suspect there may be a way to file GST/HST through TaxCycle (forms module?) but I have never used it.

We also don’t use the T4 slips programs with Taxcyle.

If you have authorization as a rep on a client’s business account, you can submit the T4s or T5s through their business, as long as the client has an RP or an RZ program account open. We do our clients payroll in house so by us submitting the slips through rep a client is more cost efficient. Only issue is opening the program accounts because we end up spending half an hour on the phone with the CRA, praying that they can know how to open an RP or RZ account.

So, you export the XML file from the bookkeeping software and manually upload it to CRA via RAC. Correct? (just in case @guptatax is wondering how to do that)

Sort of, I have diploma in computer programming, we’ve mostly built our own bookkeeping and payroll systems using excel’s developer tool, was tired of having to pay Quickbooks for a poor quality software. Not that we don’t use an accounting software, it’s mainly used on very small scale businesses.

When you’re on the RP or RZ account, just click on “file a return.” You’ll need to provide the business number, the year for which the slip should be issued, and provide the the employer and employee identification information. As long as you’ve entered the total reported deduction (box numbers 16, 27, 18, 19, and 22) and it is matching the total remittance paid during the year, it should be fine. If there’s any difference, the CRA will send a PD7R letter. Also before you submit the slip, you can view a preview of the slip so then you could cross reference with the information you have. At best, I have 30 active corporate clients that require T4 and T5 slips, so we’ve chosen to go with this route.

Really? You can enter all the data manually? I’ve never seen that. I’ve only seen where you can upload an XML file. Thanks for explaining. I hope @guptatax appreciates it, too.

Also, with the CRA Web Forms option you can save a copy of the file w/ employee details etc. so you don’t have to start from scratch every year!