2017 Suggestions

I tried to do one of those, got a reject notice with a phone number to call… They directed me to the Efile Helpdesk, who also had no idea, except it was a software problem. Called Taxcycle, who posed the question to Allen Burns, who had the correct answer.

1. S11 Diagnostic for Tuition carry forward;

I am not sure that there should be a quickfix since the claim must be made in the first year available.

In this case 2015

However, you cannot even use the fact that there was a carry forward since the taxpayer may not have been in a position to claim it in 2015.

This whole area needs intervention from the preparer.

1. this button does not seem to work

1. Smart fill on this line of billing summary with the amounts would be nice so I can select the description and amount or percent with a drop down.

1. Not sure why this happens but when I click show hidden icons on the Windows 7 task bar I get many Doxcycle icons (program is closed) they disappear when I move my mouse over them. Yesterday after reviewing returns all day I think there was 30 or so of them.

1. This works for me… it should take you back to the opening screen where you select the taxpayers. If you just downloaded, the [ ] use previous download will be automatically checked… so you may have to uncheck that box to trigger the full download. If you have some more detail I can examine this further.

Note that CRA does not update this information during the day. It’s updated using an overnight process. So if you just downloaded in the morning, doing it again in the afternoon will not change your result. That’s why we default to use the last downloaded results if the download happened already once today.

1. Are you changing the issuer name from the value that comes from CRA? We match on the issuer name. Or is this scenario one where you have multiple slips from the same issuer?

On a further note, the AFR download xml is anonymous because the taxpayer SIN does not exist in the file. So as long as the issuer details don’t give it all away (ie: J. Thomas Smith Prof Corp), you could share some of that real world data with us to help us optimize the matching.

We’ve optimized AFR based on the returns that are typical in our office, but we don’t have many complicated scenarios with multiple identical issuers… It would be great if we could see what some of these problem files are like so that we can improve the workflow to handle them.

Anyways, if you can help, go to history and click the button highlighted below. Save the file with an anonymous file name. You can even look at it in notepad to confirm that there is no personally identifying information:

This is likely the reason why it does not work. I had downloaded the AFR with the above tuition issue, I was also completing their 2015 return and had the T183 signed already so I filed it. CRA’s system was update (since I was logged in) immediately; therefore, I figured I would try to download again to see if the tuition updated.

Maybe some sort of message stating that the download again will not work today.

The slips are entered into Taxcycle long before I do the AFR during my review. The slip name is what my staff entered. Taxcycle will match some slips if the name is correct; however, if the name is different, it wants to produce a new slip. The name is a bad line to match on for AFR, the values would be better; however, when we are dealing with multiple T3 and T5008 slips matching one, you should keep track (actually keep track of all slips) of where I put it so I do not need to map everything again if I notice an error in my coding the first time. I want to just open the AFR change the one slip coded wrong and and close; however, I need to re link everything again which is a PITA.

I do not think this had any thing to do with the XML, it has to do with Taxcycles assumptions to match.

I will send you one file to look at via e-courier. @Cameron, is there any way I can change the Name of a slip before I send it?

Yes, you can open the file in notepad or notepad++. You can then search for the name of the slip and change it. Just change the letters, but avoid changing any punctuation that could be coming through. That may be impacting the way we’re matching the slips.

Sure, but without the real world data to look at, we’ll just be guessing at how we might change the matching assumptions.

We spent a lot of time making up scenarios that we think might be happening. We can improve this much faster with real world data.

I keep telling you to come to my office and I will show you the real world experience:grinning:

File sent via e-courier. As I start to deal with my more complicated investment files, I will see if I have some others for you.

1. maybe importing slips from slip sync could bring the slips up for both taxpayers in the file like AFR does rather than having us do it twice.

I just did an AFR on a client where we do the T4, and T5 slips, I posted the using slip sync and then did the AFR. Tax cycle wants to set up new slips for all of them regardless of the fact the name matches. Something appears to be off.

1. Self employed commissions on T4A need to be included in income regardless if the Business statement has not been selected.

If the slip is entered and no T2125 in this case has been entered, the program just ignores the income when calculating the tax.

You get the message

However, this message can be signed off and it appears efiled and the income is never reported to CRA.

Either you need to ensure the amount is included in the calculation at all times regardless if a T2125 has been indicated OR the above audit message needs to be a critical error that cannot be signed off to efile.

2 Likes
  1. It would be nice if the Family Transmit screen would include the taxes owing or refundable from the T183. I like to check that the number has not changed from the printing of the T183 to when I get it back signed to file.

Maybe even on the regular transmit screen would be helpful. The other option would be to show the T183 rather than the confirmation page since we are clicking our acceptance on the side bar.

1 Like
  1. rigth now, on the slip entry screen, you have the columns for AFR, Amount, Total and Prior Year.

When I am reviewing a file, while the program will tell me if there is no AFR data, there is nothing to indicate that there is no original (paper) slip data… This would be very helpfull, especially on review.

Also, when matching up AFR, once you have ‘coupled’ about 20 slips, there is no way to scroll through and find the original amount imported by any one for those slips. So when the amount you are importing exceeds the paper slip, you have to ‘uncouple’ one by one to find the error. Would advocate another column here, so you can see the CRA data for each.

In the case on hand, I have determined that, either the CRA info is newer than the paper slip, or older. however, the T3 slip does not indicate it is amended…

I agree, there almost needs to be a slip worksheet page for these types of situations