2017 Suggestions

1. I have mentioned this to @Cameron already. With the addition of AFR to the preparation of returns, I would like to see Taxcycle have the ability to “push” the slips to Doxcycle.

For instance after I have all the slips entered into Taxcycle and have done AFR, I would like to have a scan slips button in Taxcycle. Clicking that button (if you have a twain scanner) would then scan the slips and since the slip is entered, Doxcycle would be able to quickly match the slip to the slip entered into Taxcycle reducing the manual time in filing.

The same can be true for donations, once I enter the donations into Taxcycle, I could place the slips in to my scanner and press scan donation slips and Doxcycle could use the information in Taxcycle to populate the fields in Doxcycle.

Same goes for medical

Doxcycle could still OCR the slips and flag any values that it could not match in Taxcycle diagnostics for the reviewer to look at. We could have a quick fix to either accept what was entered or update to the Doxcycle OCR. If we accept what was entered, the Doxcycle OCR would be updated accordingly.

If the taxpayer is deceased, we could have a right click option on the date of death cell to scan the will, scan the death certificate etc.

The options are endless. Doxcycle becomes a repository of the information we need to respond to CRA’s assessment reviews etc.

3 Likes
  1. I think I have a potential solution to a previous request for the ability to roll forward scanned documents in the Doxcycle file tot he next years file.

I suspect it is difficult to pick certain documents in a pdf file and copy them to a new file; therefore, how about allow us to setup the subsequent years Doxcycle file now and link it to the current year file? Maybe have a different background colour for the subsequent year file and when a return is carried forward regardless if they use carry forward or carry forward and link, the new file is created and the “carry forward file” from the previous year is automatically linked to the new file as the current file documents and all.

If option 54 is implemented, there would need to be a diagnostic in Taxcycle to say that there was carry forward slips in the Doxcycle file.

1. When I drag a pdf from an email into Doxcycle, I would like the option to tell Doxcycle what the the pdf is. For instance if the client emails me all his investment statements, I would like to tell Doxcycle that on mass rather than getting 50+ pages of unclassified documents

AND

tell Doxcycle if i want those pdfs included in a grouping

1 Like
  1. It would also be nice if Taxcycle would consider the box values already entered into the software to match more of the AFR slips up front rather than defaulting to new slip every time.
  1. This feature should be included in all modules not just the T1.

1 Like
  1. would be great to have the part of the optimization that deals with specific areas of the return shown on that schedule also.

For example, besides being on the optimization page, have the medical expenses part of the optimization also shown on the medical schedule.

2 Likes
  1. Could you make the calculator link to the actual file in use rather than always be on top?

I was reviewing a file and someone emailed me a slip so I was quickly trying to import it, opened a new Taxcycle Window and got this.

it actually sits on top of every window.

1 Like
  1. In the T1 slip summary could there be an indication if the slip agrees to AFR values? Would help our review process - we get preparers to review slips that have been imported so the first reviewer then focuses their slip review on items that have been manually input, and it would be handy to be able to identify them from the summary.
2 Likes

I thought about posting something similar; however, I was not sure the best way to handle it especially since some practitioners may not want to see it. I was thinking a different colour font could be helpful but in the end, I was not sure.

1. @Cameron You could implement this suggestion this year.(or yesterday would also work) The other thread reminded me of another suggestion. When reopening the AFR screen to adjust the import as depicted in the picture;

Taxcycle does not remember where you linked the the file during the first import to resulting in having to re link everything.

Could you please have Taxcycle remember where we linked it to so all we need to do is modify it as required? We will be starting to do the bulk of the investment clients now and having Taxcycle remember the prior import would be extremely helpful.

3 Likes
  1. Optimization of Donations should consider who owes money and give us the option to have the Donations placed on the taxpayer that owes money.
1 Like
  1. hitting F4 and typing “political” or any portion of such should jump you to the Political contribution tax credit.

same could be said for “school” etc
ditto for professional dues

1 Like
  1. fix the auto lock feature in Taxcycle after filing
  1. Optimization of Donations should consider who owes money and give us the option to have the Donations placed on the taxpayer that owes money.

Related See 59)…

Without a doubt Taxcycle is great software. I have always thought though that it tried a little too hard regarding optimizations. We should be experienced enough to make most decisions re optimizations on our own given the tools for easy selections/choices without overrides. :smiley: Back to the wine.:wine_glass:

1 Like
  1. fix the auto lock feature in Taxcycle after filing

Should be in next release I believe.:wink:

I strongly agree with this suggestion! I had a situation where clients ( a couple) needed Fitness tax credits moved from the spouse with higher income, to the lower one (this was related to a written agreement with an ex-spouse). I could not make the transfer without an override, and I am very uncomfortable having an overrride on any return. I would be grateful if it was easier to move these kind of credits between spouses - without overrides!

deleted duplicate post- sorry

I was wondering when I might start repeating things :confused:

1. There should be an option to say that the RRSP contribution that was downloaded is already included OR you could allow us to link the contribution to a particular line (in this case line 1)

Part B of this request, If I click on include contribution, please ignore the zero balances when posting

1 Like
  1. Taxcycle should not allow a Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) transmission attempt to be made if the taxpayer is deceased. It seems the representative for a deceased taxpayer is not permitted to make a Pre-Authorized payment request on behalf of the decedent.

ERROR: THE PAD IS UNABLE TO BE PROCESSED BASED ON THE TAXPAYER’S ACCOUNT STATUS. PLEASE CONTACT THE CANADA REVENUE AGENCY’S INDIVIDUAL TAX AND TRUST ENQUIRIES LINE AT 1-800-959-8281 FOR FURTHER DETAILS. (REF. CODE: 064)

Assuming a deceased taxpayer is excluded from being able to make a Pre-Authorized Debit;

If there is a date of death completed in the “Life Events” section of the Info Screen, this should trigger at least a warning on the T183 if an attempt is made to fill out the PAP section of the T183. Ideally, if the taxpayer is deceased, a tick in the “Not Interested” box of the T183 should automatically populate, with a diagnostic warning (Warning: “Pre Authorized debit not available to deceased taxpayers”) if the preparer attempts to uncheck that box.

2 Likes