Working with multiple printer trays

I am replacing my printer, from a multi-function printer to a (low-end) Enterprise Printer. So, this thing has four printer trays, each capable of handling 550 sheets. Basically, a ream of paper each, to a max of 2,200 pieces of paper at any one time.

The old printer is nine years old and beginning to show its age. But equally, my spouse retired in Oct and discovered that I have a really good printer. For the past month, they have been making colour photocopies only, to the extent of even making a colour photocopy of a black and white form that was filled in by a black pen. In placing my order for the new printer, I somehow forgot to ensure that the new machine could do photocopies. :astonished: I don’t know how I forgot that.

Before I receive this printer, does anyone have suggestions as to what to load each tray? If you have multiple printer trays, what do you load each tray with?

My first thought was:

• Load one or two trays with white letter,
  • Have two trays for different coloured paper (to stop people from trying to mail the tax summaries, or to print a couple on different colours),
  • Then possibly an envelope tray.

Do others have ideas?

(After this is set up, I have to go through my print sets carefully…)

@TimParris
I’ve been considering a similar upgrade myself (mainly because my current “all-in-one” doesn’t do double-sided, and the printer driver doesn’t even have a setting for “manual” duplexing).

Personally, I haven’t seen any (law or accounting) offices that use enough colored paper or envelopes to bother putting them in cassettes. When these are needed, they use the “manual feed” tray, or swap them into a cassette temporarily. Usually I have seen something like:
Tray 1 (main) - plain letter
Tray 2 - plain letter, rotated (i.e. landscape, or vice versa with tray 1 - makes more sense if you are photocopying)
Tray 3 - “bond” or “high quality” paper, often with pre-printed letterhead
Tray 4 - legal size, or 11x17, or card stock (i.e. report covers)

Our office of 17 people (21 in tax season) generates enough printing that we have three multi-functional printers.

The main printer that receives our faxes and most of the office uses:
Tray 1 - plain white paper, photocopy and printing default
tray 2 - letter head
tray 3 - yellow paper for incoming faxes (because faxes were getting mixed up in print jobs)
tray 4 - legal size

Our 2nd printer is just for admin (T2 and financial statement printing) and the partners.
Tray 1 - white paper (default tray)
Tray 2 - letter head
Tray 3 - second sheet letter paper
Tray 4 - Legal size

the third printer is only for T1, T3, T4, and T5 jobs.
tray 1 - white paper (for client signature pages (T183’s etc) for CRA and CRA paperfile of T4/T5’s)
tray 2 - letter head
tray 3 - blue paper (client copy’s & CRA paperfile of T1’s)
tray 4 - yellow paper (client copies and CRA paperfile of T3’s)

Labels are set-up to go to Dymo label makers for all returns.

Hope this helps

Hey @roxane.pratt, I think that the configuration on your third printer is what I would be using, though I may change the letterhead in tray 2 to card stock. Not entirely certain about this yet.

I have set up the printer right now as follows:
tray 1 - pink paper (for odds and sods)
tray 2 - card stock (for covers)
tray 3 - white paper (Signature sheets, CRA paperfilings)
tray 4 - blue paper (client copies - set one)
tray 5 - yellow paper (client copies - set two)

Client package will print as:

1. card stock (Since these are always the same, I may pre-print a series)
  2. white (contact information, table of contents)
  3. Blue, Yellow, Pink (client packages)
  4. Tax Package Reference Set (I offer three levels of service, so this explains the service levels)
  5. Coupon codes for handing to friends, encoded with the originating tax return for tracking purposes

Client packages are issued consistent with the service level that the client wants. The upper end is a bound booklet. I have to figure out how I will return the original documents since those do not go into the bound package,