TaxCycle | Products | Pricing | Training | Documentation | Support | News

Workflow

I just had my first look at the new workflow improvements, and they are certainly an improvement.
The workflow stages are in this order: planning, preparation, review, client approval, transmission and then printing.
However, the workflow in my office is planning, preparation, review, printing, client approval, with transmission as the last step.

Is there any way this can be accommodated in the workflow?.

Also, I would find it useful to be able to add custom steps, for example, if the preparation is split up between scanning, data input, etc.

3 Likes

You bet! You can drag and drop the workflow groups within Options to put them in the order you want. Although we do not have the ability to create custom tasks, you can drag and drop the existing tasks into the group you want, and in the order you want (also within Options).

3 Likes

T1 WORKFLOW
I track this as part of my current workflow.
In my office we add one step and expand preparation with three status indicators:-

1. Plan
  2. Engagement Approval
  3. Preparation - STATUS = waiting for client, CRA, preparer
  4. Review
  5. Print + email
  6. Client approval
  7. Transmit

T1 POST FILING WORKFLOW
I have many clients whose T1’s cross the CRA Review threshold.
So I also include the following steps while I monitor their T1 assessment status for up to three years.

1. CRA Review - None, Pre-assessment, Post-assessment, T1 matching, T1 programs.
    9./CRA NOA
  2. Payment - Refund, payment on filing, payment plan.

DTC WORKFLOW
I also have a disproportionate percentage of clients claiming Disability Tax Credit for themselves or for a dependent family member. In some situations this can be approved in as little as 3 months. In other cases it can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months, depending upon the number of back and forth communications between the CRA DTC processing unit, the client, and the doctor. My biggest issue here is that when CRA sends a letter to the doctor, no copy is sent to preparer. I proactively follow up weekly to check status of the assessment, CRA timeframe, and to obtain a copy of the letter to the MD, if one is sent. I can track this in my workflow app.

What would be very useful to track in Taxcycle is the following data set:-
1: DTC submission date
2. Current status - waiting for CRA approval, waiting for MD response, CRA approved permanent, CRA approved with expiry date.
3. CRA approval date
4. DTC effective start date
5. DTC effective end date when temporary, or, permanent.
6. Date of death when terminal - sometimes the DTC is permanent but death has occurred during the year. This means that the final return needs to be filed to avoid a CRA post assessment review.

DTC Workflow - I track this as part of my current workflow.

1. Plan
  2. Engagement Approval
  3. Preparation - STATUS = waiting for client, doctor, CRA, preparer
  4. Review
  5. Print + email
  6. Client approval
  7. CRA Rep a Client Submit Documents - transmit number.
  8. CRA additional documents requested.
1 Like

Ooops
T1 POST FILING WORKFLOW
I have many clients whose T1’s cross the CRA Review threshold.
So I also include the following steps while I monitor their T1 assessment status for up to three years.

1. CRA Review - None, Pre-assessment, Post-assessment, T1 matching, T1 programs.
  2. CRA NOA
  3. Payment - Refund, payment on filing, payment plan.
1 Like

Nice improvements. :+1::+1:

I wish to modify your T1 Post Filing Workflow.

Change your 8 CRA Review - None, Pre-assessment, Post-assessment, T1 matching, T1 programs.
to be:

[New Group] Agency Action

• Type of Action (Drop down? There can be two at a time, but very odd) None, Pre-assessment, Post-assessment, Matching, Quebec Review, Audit, Other
  • Request received
  • Request responded
  • Agency response received - No Change
  • Agency response received - Changed
  • Further action needed (appeal, etc.)

The CRA NOA is in the Return Completion group
The payment is in the Billing group

1 Like

I second @Arliss comment - Nice improvements.

I’ve already played a little with it.

@TimParris

Love your recommendations. A significant refinement to my current workflow.

I graciously accept and adopt.

@Arliss

Very nice improvements. Well thought out. Immensely helpful.

Would be great if the program could:

1. enter the due date based on the type of return, ie, personal returns April 30, T4/T5 February 28, T2 - 6 month after year end…
  2. if the program could automatically check of ‘client engagement package sent’ when either preseason/postseason or engagement letter is printed.
1 Like

The improvements in the last few updates are sure nice!

I agree with your suggestion, @TimParris regarding the workflow. The options to create a seamless workflow in TaxCycle are endless. Right now we’re using Excel to track all CRA reviews as well as the DTC applications. If we could integrate this into our T1 workflow in TaxCycle, it would be wonderful. Is there a possibility that the option to create custom tasks might come in a future udpate?

I also echo @BertMulderCGA suggestion on having the software enter the due date based on the type of return.

I support this idea. I would love to track and manage all my tax workflows within TaxCycle. This could only enhance tax practitioners’ love of TaxCycle.

1 Like