Using Doxcycle for Estates

I really enjoy the T3 solution for estates. What I am trying to figure out is the best way to link in Doxcycle for the estate accounting and tracking the documents to support the return. DoxCycle works good for T2 and T1 work but I would value some insights on how to best configure DoxCycle for estates and trusts.

I don’t know what Doxcycle could do, but in general:

“formal” accouning for estates is under provincial jurisdiction.
The executor must keep records and accounting to the beneficiaries with those requirements in mind.
In all cases, proper bookkeeping is required.

If the executor is not dismally failing in their duties, the executor should be able to provide the estate tax accountant with an estate accounting that is even more meticulous and clear than business or corporate books and records, since it is all trust accounting.

1 Like

Oh, how we wish! :slight_smile:

IRL it doesn’t seem to work that way.

In my experience, executors fail to understand anything about estate accounting. Executor got a cheque from the federal government for 50k in her name so she was going to deposit it into her personal account and then split it with the other heirs, including her co-executor who didn’t know anything about the deposit. She wondered what it was to me and why I need so much information. It wouldn’t affect the estate taxes in any way, she thought. Why do we need probate? Why do all the estate bills have to be accounted for and paid? I wanted to hand it all off to the CPA, but he was trying to hand it off to me. We agreed to wait until we had all the relevant information.

1 Like