Feature request - 30 characters or lest

I’m preparing T5018’s, and some of the subcontractors have business names longer than 30 characters. The diagnostic points this out. It would be nice to have the option to click to automatically trim the business name down to 30 characters. Or, you could give the option that it would simply be filed with the first 30 characters.

1 Like

This has been an issue for a few years. Unfortunately, this is not a Review Message that can be signed off, this 30 character name restriction on a T5018 slip causes TaxCycle to refuse to Netfile the transmission, nor can this message be neutered in the Options–>T5018–>Review Messages like most of the other Review messages can.

The best solution or workaround I have found is to put most of the Subcontractor’s Name on the first line and use the 2nd line in the name field for the remainder of the name. It displays as 2 lines on the actual T5018 slip, however, I’m not sure whether the 2nd line actually transmits to the CRA when you netfile the slips. I don’t think it matters though.

CRA uses the BN or SIN reported on the T5018 more so than the name. 30 characters is usually enough for them to confirm the association of name and number.