Endless TC / DC problems this year

This has been a VERY frustrating year for me with TC and DC. Long load times for TC and, if I don’t shut it down on the server prior to disconnecting RDP, when I restart in the morning TC is either hung, has error messages or starts to do weird things.

Some of the things that have happened this year:

• DC “forgets” that the taxfile is a “family” file and I get a link only to person A or B, but not both.
  • DC overwrote (!) a file for Family A with Family B’s data.
  • TC overwrote TWO T2 files: as far as I can tell one was a 21 file opened and converted and renamed in 22 TC and when I then opened the new 22 file it simply overwrote the old one due to the same extension and name. There was (maybe?) no notification of same.
  • VERY long time waiting for my “quick search” selection to actually load the files (typically 60-90 sec)

I really don’t want to reinstall at this point…but it’s all starting to be annoying as *&%%^$#. I hope this is not a result of the change of ownership, but fear that it might be and that with cost-cutting, QC has also suffered.

We are also suffering with lag time and error messages. Not happy

I have not seen any of that and i put through about 65 to 75 returns a day with taxcycle and doxcycle

@pugs1 Are you operating in an RDP environment or on stand-alone desktops or local network?
I definitely notice a difference when in an RDP environment. I have many fewer issues on a stand-alone desktop.

Yup - this is running on Win 2016 Server via RDP.

Have NEVER had this much trouble and there’s been no change to the environment for at least 5 years.

1 Like

I use it on a desktop computer and have no issues. 13700K | Z790 gigabyte | 32GB DDR5

Glad I’m not the only one seeing problems. I added extra RAM to my server environment that did make an improvement but still seeing bug reports too frequently.

Greg.

Gregory Marko PEng, MBA, CPA CMA

P:416.527.4431 | F:416.850.4600

__Click Here __to securely send an encrypted file or message

This message and any files transmitted contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version or request transmission by electronically secure means.

Local network

It sounds like those of us working on RDP will have problems until the software is optimized for the RDP environment.

Doesn’t TC say “Optimized for Remote Work” or something like that?

Sure enough…so it does…on the splash screen:

(Not that we are likely to hear from anyone at TC/Xero?)

It says it, but I don’t believe it anymore.
That line has been there for years, and I do believe it was true at one point. It does not seem to be true when using the latest technologies.

@SmallBizGuy

We can’t blame Xero for this. Our staffing and QA are the same as last year. We had one person retire, but otherwise it’s the same crew. We’ve even added an engineer to work on modernizing DoxCycle to do the same technology update that we did for TaxCycle this past year. Hopefully that will help for next tax season.

We did upgrade the TaxCycle technology to use .net 6, and we think that is why we’re having some performance issues. The communications protocol that we used to use to link TaxCycle with DoxCycle and TaxCycle with Client Manager has been deprecated by Microsoft. We’ve transitioned to something new and we’re working through issues as they are reported.

For the file overwrites, we’re happy to investigate if you can provide some details of the steps you followed in first three issues you reported. I’ll ask our QA team to try to find a way to replicate what you report, but they’ll just be guessing. Your details will be more helpful.

Our priority now is solving any performance issues. Please keep reporting issues as you find them and we will address them.

Best regards,

~ Cameron

2 Likes

Thanks Cameron - that is good to know. (You, I trust, as have been with you since the Zimmer days!)

I can only guess at what happened with the file overwrite, but I might see if I can repeat it…not sure that I can, but I’ll duplicate a file and retry what I “think” occurred.

For me, the biggest thing is that when running on my Azure server, when I disconnect at night and reconnect in the morning…even though the server itself remains running and TC remains open all night…in the morning I see an error dialog that says “something went wrong and sends a message to TC” (something to that effect) and thereafter either TC continues to work but can generate some of those odd things.

I’m happy to work with your QA team if someone wants to connect or get a debug log etc. Just let me know what I can provide or do to assist,

If you are only interested in one return type (say T1 2022), to help reduce the search time enter T12022 into the search bar before selecting a quick search. Quick searches act on search results, if there are no search results loaded it will pull a full list.

You can combine the module and year search terms e.g., T12022 T12021 - only T1 2022 and 2021 returns will be returned. This should be much faster.

Cameron - FWIW, I scraped an error just now and have attached the text file below.

All I did was swap an open RDP connection to the Azure server from one PC to another…and on the second one as soon as I opened it this error popped up its dialog box. Sadly, it’s pretty meaningless to me…
(apparently TXT files are disallowed, so it’s stuff into an XLSX so you can still parse it as needed).

Azure WinServ16 TC error.xlsx (11.5 KB)

Lag times are painfull. So are problems with clients trying to sign or open a Tax Folder.
We didn’t have these problems last year! What’s up! I don’t need these problems . Please tell me this has nothing to do with new owners.