This past December, experiencing internet speed/connectivity issues for almost a year, I switched internet provider.
After cancelling my account, including web hosting, I proceeded to register my domain name with another registrar, only to find out it was still registered to somebody from the ISP and as such was not available to me.
I’ve been using and paying for it since 2008 and was under the “uneducated” belief that said domain name had been registered by the ISP but with myself as registrant.
Not so, as I discovered on the CIRA| WHOIS website. The registrant was still this ISP employee/rep with the ISP’s email address and business phone # as contact and valid until 2021. From what I could see it had been renewed after I cancelled my account.
I sent them an email regarding the situation but never received a reply.
My first phone call attempt just degenerated in a never ending merry-go-round, switching from one clueless agent to another.
My second call, a few days later, lasted about 3hrs. of listening to some orchestra until I finally spoke to somebody who basically informed that:
- the individual named as registrant no longer worked in that division and seemingly nobody could even confirm he was still an employee.
- It was standard policy (as explained on the 11 pages of legal jargon) for the ISP to have one of their employees as registrant and basically owner of the domain name.
He did give me the option to recover my domain name, for the same monthly fee, as long as this “no name” individual remained as registrant or change to another domain name and register with another registrar.
Having used that domain over 12 years, I opted for the recovery option.
From what I read, this seems to be a very common issue. According to CIRA, I could file a complaint but I understand the process could become a legally extensive and expensive vortex which I’m not sure I want to undertake.
I guess the old “Buyer Beware” apllies in my case.