RAC down? March 10 2017

I can’t seem to access represent a client, anyone else having that issue? On Chrome I get “This site can’t be reached”.

Same here, cannot access Represent a client.

Thanks james1, wanted to make sure it was not a problem with my internet/computer.

It looks like the site’s security certificate went bad… feels like an SSL Security Certificate hack.
Last night they were having different issues, which resembled a denial of service flood type attack.

@snoplowguy

I do not understand why the system is down. They heard they hired the same guys who built the Phoenix system to maintain the RAC which from my understanding a software for the ages.:smiling_imp:

My son, who is an IT guy, says it looks like a hack.

We just received an email from CRA detailing the services that are down:

"The following Canada Revenue Agency’s online services are temporarily unavailable as a result of system maintenance.

• transmission of T1 (initial and amended) returns for EFILE and NETFILE
• Corporate Internet Filing
• transmission of T1135 requests
• electronic submission of T1013
• electronic submission of Pre-authorized debit
• auto-fill my Return service
• submission of Client Data Enquiry requests
• My Account portal
• My Business Account portal
• Represent a Client portal
• Express NOA service"

They have not indicated when services would be restored.

~ Rob

1 Like

Thanks Rob

Must be serious if they had to shut the whole works down. :worried:
GST/HST Netfile is down too.

Can’t remember the last time CIF was offline.

Just got the following from EFILE Comments / TED Commentaires (CRA/ARC) NETPRO-E@cra-arc.gc.ca

Do not reply to this email. This email address is not monitored

This message is being sent to you from a different email address rather than our standard email method, as successful delivery of our previous messages appears to be inconsistent.

We regularly communicate important EFILE news and tax messages to you through a commercial list server which distributes from: EFILE-TED noreply@cra-arc.gc.ca

Our most recent communication (below) has been blocked by your e-mail server or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Sent: March-10-17 6:15 PM
To:
Subject: System maintenance – Canada Revenue Agency online services

System maintenance - Canada Revenue Agency online services

The CRA’s online services, including the ability to electronically file your taxes, are temporarily unavailable as a result of system maintenance.

Please check this page for updates: http://www.cra-arcgc.ca/menu-eng.html

Thank you for your patience.

See also http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-revenue-agency-online-services-down-with-little-explanation-1.3321043

I’m guessing just a typo but they appear to have gotten the URL wrong and missed the period between arc.gc

Maybe there is a good reason they don’t normally include URL’s in their emails. :slight_smile:

This review message in Taxcycle is very fitting:grinning:

1 Like

Latest email:

Do not reply to this email. This email address is not monitored

This message is being sent to you from a different email address rather than our standard email method, as successful delivery of our previous messages appears to be inconsistent.

We regularly communicate important EFILE news and tax messages to you through a commercial list server which distributes from: EFILE-TED noreply@cra-arc.gc.ca

Our most recent communication (below) has been blocked by your e-mail server or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Sent: March-12-17 9:08 AM
To:
Subject: Notice – Service temporarily unavailable

Notice – Service temporarily unavailable

Please note that the CRA website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html has been updated with the following:

Notice – Service temporarily unavailable

Ensuring that your personal information is not compromised is a priority for us.

Upon becoming aware of an internet vulnerability that affects some computer servers used by websites worldwide, we took down our online services, including electronic filing, and are taking steps to ensure that all information and systems remain safe.

At this time, we are not aware that any personal information has been affected; however, we continue to assess and remedy the situation.

You can still complete your tax forms, but will have to wait before filing.

We are working to bring our online services back up as soon as possible. Updates will be ‎posted as they become available.

Thank you for your patience.

Canada Revenue Agency shuts down online services after discovering 'internet vulnerability’
The agency says it isn’t aware of any personal information being affected

By Laura Howells, Ramna Shahzad, CBC News Posted: Mar 11, 2017 3:46 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 12, 2017 1:47 PM ET

The Canada Revenue Agency website is running, but its digital services–including electronic tax filing–is not.

You may have a tough time filing your taxes this weekend.

The Canada Revenue Agency took its online services down Friday afternoon, after discovering an “internet vulnerability that affects some computer servers used by websites worldwide.”

​"We are not aware of any unauthorized access to taxpayer information and we continue to monitor closely," said CRA spokesperson Patrick Samson in a statement Sunday.

“Digital services were taken offline as a precaution, not as the result of a successful hack or breach.”

The CRA first took its website down as a precaution at midnight on March 10, said Samson. Parts of the site were still affected as of Sunday.

Samson said “action was taken” to protect web servers, and the website and digital services went back online an hour and a half later.

Later Friday afternoon, however, Samson said the CRA determined that while its website was protected, its digital services were “potentially vulnerable.”

The CRA took its online services down at around 2 p.m. that day, and they remain offline nearly 48 hours later. The CRA website itself is still online.

In an earlier interview, Samson said digital services were taken down at 1 p.m., but later said that was incorrect.

The CRA (site outage) warnings may still be posted, but I have been able to access both Represent a Client and AFR as of 5:50pm EDT.

This is good news.

Have you tried e-filing a personal return?

Just had a successful transmission:-)

[quote=“vivayala, post:14, topic:1177, full:true”]
Have you tried e-filing a personal return? [/quote]

As Paul mentioned… Yes. :slight_smile:

Thanks - I just e-filed two returns too with success.