Different email for TaxFolder and CRA online mail

Would anyone know if it’s possible to register a client for online mail through TaxCycle at the time of filing their return, but send them the T183 or T1 in TaxFolder to a different email?

I think if the client is already registered for online mail, then it doesn’t matter what email I enter on the Info page. But if I’m registering a client for the first time, is it possible to have their TaxFolder account setup with a different email?

And on a related note, if I have a client that is the main contact for a family (uploads everyone’s documents, all questions and final returns are sent to him) is it possible to have one unique email for each family member (so they can e-sign) but then upload everyone’s returns to the profile of the main contact person (reason being the other members don’t want to setup a TaxCycle account and the main person doesn’t want to deal with six different logins). I know I can PDF the returns and then upload them. I’m trying to see if there is a quick way to do it in the software.

It looks like there is an option for legal representative email, although I’m not really sure what that means in terms of how the email is used in the software. But I don’t think that’s for cases like this anyway.

If there are no such option, has anyone found a workaround or am I the only one with these issue :wink:

TIA

For your first question, the email address of the client is not transmitted through EFILE to CRA unless you select “Yes, register for online mail or update email” on the Info page. When you make that selection, the email address appears on the T183 and it is from that field that TaxCycle takes the email address to send through EFILE.
If the client is already signed up for online mail and they change email addresses, you can get it updated in the client’s file at CRA’s by making that same selection before transmitting the return.

For the TaxFolder side, we use the email field from the Info worksheet to connect the tax return to the TaxFolder client. In the case of a deceased taxpayer we use the email field in the Life Events section and the label will show as “Estate of …”.

Based on Allen’s response, it sounds like you can have a different email for CRA Online mail by overriding the email address field on the T183 for CRA purposes. You may want to add a memo to review that in future years.

The email address on the Info worksheet should always be the email address you are using for your client in TaxFolder.

While we don’t recommend it for privacy reasons, you can use the same email address for all of the clients in the same family file. This will create separate engagements (one for each family member tax return) under a single client which will all be accessible from a single client portal (one sign in).

Currently the legal representative in the Life Events section is referenced for TaxFolder only if a date of death is entered. We will be making some changes here to also use this field if there is a legal representative entered for a living taxpayer which should be in place for next tax season.

Thank you both for the clarifications. That gives me a workaround. Much appreciated.