CAIP - Climate Action Incentive Payment - CMA Question

I have a pretty healthy mix of clients who reside inside a CMA as well as outside a CMA.

I would find it very handy if “Tick this box if the client resides outside a CMA” on April 1, 2024 was set up as a yes or no question.

From a tax preparer standpoint I need to sign off the diagnostic message for every client who does not reside outside a CMA. If I choose to “Never show this message for any clients” to neuter the review message for good there is a good chance I will miss ticking the box for clients who do reside outside a CMA. The CMA answer does not carry forward from the prior year (nor does the question whether Qualified dependants qualify for the CAIP).

Some other software (the name I will not provide :wink:) has been able to get around the CMA issue by making the preparer select yes or no to that question.

Maybe I’m the only one that finds the current set up a bit aggravating.

3 Likes

I agree. I know this may seem insignificant but when you’re looking at 100’s of tax returns each year, a few clicks saved on each return is really appreciated.

Agreed.
I found this website that is very helpful determining if one is in a CMA:

1 Like

Yes - that would be great instead of going into review and checking off the question…

It would be nice if there would be some kind of tool that shows us based on address.

1 Like

Found it:

1 Like

I also have avout 50/50 mix… I consider myself and many clients rural but we are caught in this ridiculousness. If you pay tax in a community without a gas station or grocery store or convenience store for at least a 30 minute drive and ur up on the mountain in the woods…one would think you were not part of the cma… one would be wrong.

A carryforward would be very very helpful… and turning off review messages defeats purpose of having them in my case… but so many clicks…each spouse return and the kids ick

Rachel Parlee
(506) 874-3093

In our next release (likely early next week), you will see we have switched that to Yes and No on the Climate worksheet. Thanks for the feedback!

6 Likes

I am in agreement with @snoplowguy on this.

It’s just another damn annoyance CRA has dumped on us. Last year I finally found a tool that gave me the answer when I entered the client’s postal code. Then, that got as slow as cold molasses running uphill. Found another tool which worked. I know it’s likely a lot of work, but why can’t TaxCycle embed a tool that populates the question based on the postal code entered on the info screen?
Or, better yet, have CRA do the damn work. They know your postal code, therefore they know if you qualify for the bump-up. If you move into or out of a CMA area, it could be picked up the following year. That’s just too easy. We’ll download to the tax preparers. Yup.

Wow, thanks Allen, that’s awesome! :grinning:

I was thinking/hoping it might be something for next tax season!

It’s not always that easy @jhd.hemeon

I live in an area where you would need to drill down into the CMA map for the exact street address. There is a big space between the St Catharines/Niagara CMA and the Hamilton CMA that we would call Haldimand or Dunnville. There are several postal codes with addresses that are inside a CMA and some addresses are outside of the CMA.

L0R2J0
L0R2A0
L0R1Y0
L0R1E0

Are postal codes that would all contain street addresses that are both inside and outside of lets say the St Catharines / Niagara CMA.

2 Likes

Thanks again for this Allen, this new feature seems to work great! :+1:

+1!! Excellent.

Glad to see that TaxCycle is (still!) more responsive than the alternatives.

The Quick fix could use a tweak now. Will answer “yes” but not “no”. No is redundant I guess but could carry forward hopefully for the future year.

Thanks Allen, great time saver.

I agree.
Quick fix should prompt yes or no
@Allen

You will be able to enjoy the No option for that QuickFix in next week’s MJ release.

1 Like