2017 Suggestions

@kevin In 2018 a service was added to Auto-Fill My Return to help better match T3 slips. The information for this is located on our website at AFR-SlipMatch. I am wondering if you have tried this service and whether this addresses your matching needs. This feature can be turned on in Options>T1>Auto-Fill My Return (AFR).

Thanks @sarka. I think I understand the feature you mentioned but I donā€™t know that it addresses that issue I raised back in 2017. The issue I raised is about reconciling the T3 data imported from CRA to the paper slips produced by the client. Itā€™s not a problem for clients with a few T3ā€™s but a challenge for those with more. I havenā€™t seen a way do this from within TaxCycle. I usually print out the slip summary and reconcile by hand.

We have the same request. Several of the fund companies report various components of the T3 to the department in pieces - for example the fund company may have 4 investments inside the Trust, each company might pay a dividend or interest or Fx income, the T3 support often has multiple lines which represent their filing to CRA. When it downloads we get multiple lines or T3ā€™s that download although the trust issues only one T3.

Currently we have been deleting the components and keying in the actual T3. In all cases we do reconcile the multiple downloaded T3ā€™s but there is some trial and error of adding or tracking down the summary with the T3 up the numbers to match the slip.

I think what Kevin is asking for is a totaling field - maybe it is a letter say ā€œAā€, then basically it is the sumif command where the system totals the three T3ā€™s for each of the fields (boxes). We might have a ā€œaā€, ā€œbā€, "cā€™ and so on.

The review would see the totals and would be able to match it up to the actually issued T3.

We questioned a few of the trusts last year but its gone on deaf ears. Maybe CRA matching program will eventually force them to issue separate T3ā€™s or only send the total to them.

Garth

That pretty much captures my point, @garth. As a preparer/reviewer, I want to show that the totals downloaded from CRA agree with the paper brought in by the client. I have a client who brought in dozens of T3 slips, few of which individually matched up with what we downloaded from CRA.

I also am very much looking for a solution to this same problemā€¦ many slips that do not matchā€¦ exact same issue.

Howeverā€¦ I have an additional issueā€¦. if we group them in AFR and downloadā€¦ and later find we made in error in groupingā€¦ when I override the info slip
in Taxcycle I get the lovely signoff message that hates to go away regarding it doesnā€™t match AFRā€¦ It would seem very time consuming to go back into AFR and try to reallocate and redoā€¦ wonder if there is an easy way to fix the regrouping if done in error
ā€¦ that is easily doneā€¦ as it stands nowā€¦ 53 T3 slipsā€¦ with all similar names all get renamed to ABC Corp # 1ā€¦ very hard to figure out which oneā€¦ without clicking on eachā€¦

Hoping for next season we will have a completely new revamped T3 /T5/etc ā€¦

Thank you again Taxcycle for always listening to your customers needs and doing your upmost to make your software the Number One Software Choice !

Rachel

Add me to this list.

Add T5008 slips to this especially for 50% split with spouse + for clients with multiple investment accounts so that we need to match the T5008 to multiple gains loss reports at one firm + multiple gains loss reports at multiple firms + multiple discount brokerage accounts with no good ACB tracking nor complete gains loss reports so we need to export to Excel to start finding the ACB by running an investment continuity.

1. Merge two slips AFTER autofill has processed.

There are times when I have a paper slip which has a different issuer name than the CRA has. So I will post the slip from Doxcycle, when AFR has already imported it.

Or I have a historical slip that had one name, then the next year the issuer has changed names, so I import to another slip. Then when I review, I notice that the historical T4A Pension from (say) HOOP is now administered by Royal Bank, so I want to merge the two slips.

Technically, this could be merge from multiple slips:

• Slip 1 - Retain Prior Year Data
  • Slip 2 - Retain AFR data
  • Slip 3 - Retain posting entries (middle column)
  • Slip 3 - Retain link to DoxCycle slip.
1 Like

That would be a great help if they could have that option.