2017 Suggestions

I agree with @Mike .

When it is obvious we are dealing with a US property and have cleared teh format mask, this error message does not need to appear

Like the auto adjust for foreign currency; however, why not on other expense lines?

Hey everyone. I just went through this long list and logged any suggestions that we havenā€™t addressed in our task tracker. I canā€™t promise any specific timelines, but just wanted to let you know we are reviewing these still and looking at solutions where possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming (although feel free to start a new thread on the community tooā€¦)

2 Likes

@James1 recommendation ā€œIt would be nice to have an import that was more user driven like Casewareā€

Add T2 data export function from T2 S100, S125, S8 to a Financial Statement look and feel to populate -
Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Changes to Fixed to Assets for those of us who do not have Caseware.

Populate with values.

Enable excel file update to populate one worksheet for each statement for each year. Then it would be easy for the tax preparer to create a summary worksheet for each statement type to create year over year comparison.

In the Dependant worksheet, under ā€œDisability amount transferā€, would it be possible to link the ā€œChild or attendant care claimed for this person by anyoneā€ to the Dependant Expenses Worksheet - ā€œChild Care expense receiptsā€, or a least have that amount added automatically to the DTC credit and have a review note asking if there are any other expenses claimed not included in the amount?

@disability amount transfer.

In Budget 2017 a new consolidated CANADA CAREGIVER CREDIT starts effective 2017.

Consolidation of Caregiver Credits
A new Canada Caregiver Credit will replace the existing caregiver credit, infirm dependant credit and family caregiver tax credit beginning 2017. The amounts are consistent with the existing credits and will be reduced dollar-for-dollar by the dependantā€™s net income above $16,163 (in 2017). The dependant will not be required to live with the caregiver to claim the credit. The Canada Caregiver Credit will no longer apply in respect of non-infirm seniors who reside with their adult children.

ADDITIONAL RELATED SUGGESTIONS

ADD TO MEDICAL CLAIM FORM - Nursing home data entry worksheet to split attendant care from housing costs.

INTEGRATE OR LINK T4 SUM TO MEDICAL FORM - To report salaries, taxable benefits, and employer remittance to live in and live out care aides and link to attendant care claim.

REFERENCE
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-1-individuals/folio-1-health-medical/income-tax-folio-s1-f1-c1-medical-expense-tax-credit.html#N10512

Cost of attendant care and care in certain types of facilities - 1.31 to 1.63

ADD TO MEDICAL FORM - km log worksheet for medical travel - OR - special memo form to note reason for travel, reason for accompanying person if required, authorizing MD, person accompanying, start and end dates of trip or trips.

Another one that may have already been mentioned ā€“ need the ability to dump USER-SELECTED fields to Excel, not just the canned choices that are available now. ProFile had this ability via the SDK and custom DAT files ā€“ I used it extensively, so much that my workflows actually rely on it now.

2 Likes

@mike

Which fields. The options configurations and custom reports?

How do you use them in your workflow?

I had my set routines in Profile in what I entered. How I reviewed. Print sets. Emailed sets. Etc. Is that what you mean?

Hi Dominique,

See the attached Word doc for an example ā€“ the empty import template (note ā€œboxā€ fields on doc where imported data will appear).

I use this for my customer engagement interviews. Prior to my appointments, I use the Word doc to automatically fill in all the customer details that I exported to the Excel file. In additional to reviewing the personal tombstone data (name, email, phones, etc) with the customer, it helps to catch LLP/HBP Repay and Disability Credit stuff, etc.

I export the fields below from my prior year returns using the SDK (DAT file attached), into an Excel fileā€¦and they then show up on the Word doc form.

Last Name First Name Home Phone Address City Postal Code Marital Status

Birthdate SIN Number Spouse First Name Spouses DOB Spouseā€™s SIN Dep1-Name Dep1-Rel Dep1-DOB Dep1-Equiv

Dep2-Name Dep2-Rel Dep2-DOB Dep2-Equiv Dep3-Name Dep3-Rel Dep3-DOB Dep3-Equiv

Dep4-Name Dep4-Rel Dep4-DOB Dep4-Equiv HBP LLP Disability Amount? Email Email Spouse Auth-Req Auth-Req-Spouse

So really what Iā€™d like is the ability to export selected tax return fields for all customers in a given year, such as the ones above (or any others since I use many variations of this) to Excel, as I could in ProFile. In TaxCycle, maybe I could put the FieldCodes in a metadata file that could be used for the custom export?

Failing this, a quick and dirty workaround would be to simply export ALL fields for all customers for a given year, then I could edit the resulting Excel output file to remove the fields I donā€™t want ā€“ itā€™s ugly, but may be quicker/easier for you to code?

Hope his helpsā€¦donā€™t hesitate to contact me for more infoā€¦thank youā€¦Mike

519-268-0969

(Dorchester, ON)

You can put all this info into a Taxcycle template, similar, I guess, to the pre-season letterā€¦

Do not exactly understand why you would want it in an Excel fileā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a look Bertā€¦

Wellā€¦it took some timeā€¦and the Template Editor doesnā€™t quite provide the granular formatting that Word does, however, I was able to make this work for my purposes.

Thanks to all who commented/messaged.

Actually saves me a step now :slight_smile:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I love your workflow. Currently use free form MS OneNote with custom letters and a million reminders and explanations during the year. Been trying to create this in Asana. Am about to test how to use Karbon HQ. What was missing was how to capture all the changes, nuances, and new information in an excellent quarterly and annual onboarding or review with out overwhelming the client.

Much easier with a simple templated letter.

Would be nice to create a fillable PDF for the tech savvy clients.

I will test creating a template on Tuesday.

Am busy studying for a Monday afternoon accounting exam. This will be my first exam in decades so I am a bit stressed and preoccupied.

403-386-0009
dominique.dabolczi@gmail.com
Calgary, AB

Hi Mike,

Can you email the Word doc sample. Donā€™t see the attachment.

Thanks so much for help.

Dominique
403-386-0009
dominique.dabolczi@gmail.com
Calgary, AB

Hi Dominiqueā€¦as I mentioned above, Iā€™m all set nowā€¦thanks for your timeā€¦Mike

From my understanding, the ā€œconsolidation of caregiver creditsā€ would not affect the Disability Tax Credit, so the supplement for under 18 would still be affected by the child care claimed.

Hi Philippe,
I would need to revisit this topic during the weekend for the detailed updates.

I worked for CRA during the 2006-2007 tax season. At that time I was caring for my two infirm parents at home with a live-in caregiver. On the internal CRA website there was a wonderful table of either/or for claiming the salary of the live-in caregiver.

It was such a very stressful and emotionally painful time for me that I have a hard time accessing my memory for the technical details of what had been the case at that time. I recall that I was surprised at how differently CRA viewed these options (as well as the provincial tuition credits), than how I had learned to apply them as an expert tax technician at mid sized CPA firms in Calgary, and, at Liberty Tax in Toronto and Calgary.

It had something to do with limits.

I do know that this has changed at least twice since then.

I do remember that I had the look at and review the tax return based on three criteria:- 1. caregiver amount. 2.disability amount. 3. medical claim for live-in caregiver salary or nursing home caregiver portion.

Can you please provide more detail for this request? What is the goal for setting up grouping of T3 slips? Which modules would this be useful in? T1? T3?

Hi @Sarka. What I suggested was for the T1 program. The T3 slips that clients bring to us often accumulate the results of two or more different funds for the same company. When we download information from CRA, we get the information for ALL the fund distributions as separate slips. It can be a challenge for some clients to match up the information they brought in with the information received from CRA but we must do it to ensure we are reporting all the income for that client.

My suggestion was to allow us to group the T3ā€™s downloaded from CRA with some sort of numbering or other system so the totals of the boxes in those groupings can be matched up with the totals on the clientā€™s paper T3ā€™s. I hope that helps explain it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi @Kevin.

I would very much like a location for TWO reference numbers and TWO names. One for the CRA name and AFR number. The second for the Slip name and Slip number.

I would like this for each of the following slips:- T3, T5, and T5008.

I would also like to be able to export all slips to Excel:- T3, T4, T4RIF, T5, and T5008.

Taxcycle displays only one slipā€™s data at time. When there are up to 3 to 5 slips to match, then displaying multiple slips or scrolling horizontally would be very helpful.

When matching 10 to 30 T3ā€™s or T5ā€™s, then Excel is helpful but the naming issue remains.

When matching 200 to 500 T5008 to multiple Gains Loss Reports to add ACBā€™s, then Excel export of the AFR and import of the ACB would be a very great help.

Essentially we need to find the which T5008 are redemptions or conversions or mutual funds which may need separate source documents to find the ACB.

It is not always as simple as entering the Gains/Loss summary data.