Work visa to permanent resident

Just starting to work with a new client. He is from Australia and has lived and worked and filed tax in Canada for many year with SIN issued with his work visa. Now in 2022 he has become a permanent resident and is issued another SIN. If I get authorization on the new SIN will his filing history while under the work visa be linked or will I need to also get authorization for the old SIN? He also needs to file 2020 and 2021 returns which were still on the work visa, would maybe these returns get filed with the new SIN??

Any insight will be appreciated.

Jim

You need to use the new SIN starting with the year it was issued…make sure that the name is spelled correctly - possible addition of middle name. I had a similar challenge when on the new SIN the name was slightly altered from ODon…to O Don…

1 Like

So I don’t think that is exactly what I’m looking for. What I’m trying to find out is, will CRA maintain two accounts that I will need separate authorizations for or do the accounts get merged?

SINs issued for foreigners working in Canada always have expiry dates. My take is that once a permanent SIN is issued, the previous, temporary one automatically gets nullified. So all the three years taxes can be filed under the new SIN but a call needs to be done by the client and asking CRA to update his account in CRA with new SIN.

That is kind of what I figured.
Update, I just got the 183 on the new SIN back and I’m in.
All of his history is there and everything looks good to go!

Jim

I think you want to ask if you can access history of previous SIN and my answer is yes, it will be linked to the new SIN