TaxCycle | Products | Pricing | Training | Documentation | Support | News

New permanent resident

Hello all,
I have a question if you don’t mind.

I became a permanent resident in May 2019, spent a couple of weeks in Canada on vacation, then went back to the country where I use to reside and work.
I was able to land a job, and moved to Canada in December 2019 to start my job.
For CRA/tax purposes, am I considered a resident from December or May?


If you want a specific legal answer actually complying with tax law (as opposed to vague internet guesses about what your full case details are, and how the various aspects of the laws apply to them), I would suggest that you contact your local CPA provincial body for a referral to a CPA tax expert in your area, who will be familiar with the details of the Income Tax Act, and the relevant tax treaties which may apply to your case details upon analysis.

Since non-compliance or mis-compliance with tax law can have very serious consequences, it should be taken considerably more seriously than one would consider a cup of coffee or a google search, and a professional can assist in a competent way.

If you take a look at your book store for copies of the Income Tax Act and Regulations, and the other associated Tax Treaties etc, note how many inches thick the thousands of pages are.

Thanks Joe. I agree that it is a very serious issue, so thought i reach out to the community to see if someone had a similar case.
I asked 4 different CPAs (working in 3 different reputable firms) about this, and didn’t get consensus, so thought I ask someone here.

You actually HIRED FOUR DIFFERENT CPAs in public practice on retainer, who all examined all your case details, obtained all your documentation from you, spent time and did an analysis, knew they were incompetent to take your case, but took it and billed you anyway?

That would sound like they will be getting their practice licences pulled.

Internet searches sounds more like Russian Roulette - I would not give advice on incomplete information, and would extremely strongly suggest you not take vague googled legal advice regarding tax.

IMHO, all your case documents should be looked at in detail and examined carefully by a knowledgeable professional.

Didn’t hire them and pay them, they are friends that were willing to listen and offer their professional opinion.
In any case, I will get a professional to complete my file for me.

Your situation may well become more “routine” in the future, but yes, I think it is wise to get your initial situation properly sorted out.