T1 deadline extension

Does anyone have more details on T1 deadline extension for Efilers ? I got the message from the CRA efile service it was extended but CRA seems to be unclear on it when you call in and one CRA rep said it was for NetFilers only.

This is not, strictly speaking, a deadline extension. It is what has been in effect as long as efile has been around, that you have a few days after the deadline to ensure all files have been accepted.

Gottcha, thanks Bert. From your understanding does that mean you must submit by April 30th and you have until the 5th to refile rejected returns or does it mean you can file up to the 5th.

Below is the message I got, and needless to say we can use the extra time if it is really there.
Cheers

Filing Deadline

All returns transmitted electronically up until 3:00 a.m., Eastern Time, Tuesday May 5, 2015, will be considered as filed on time. This also applies to records that are returned for correction and then resent and accepted.

If you receive a reject error clue that indicates that you should file a paper return, and you file the paper return after May 5, 2015, a late filing penalty may be assessed. You should therefore, file the paper return as soon as possible. Any enquiries requesting relief from the late-filing penalty should be directed to the applicable intake centre for consideration. You will also be required to send a copy of the non-accepted records list.

Clients who have self-employment income, and their spouses or common-law partners, have until 3:00 a.m., Eastern Time, Thursday June 18, 2015, to file their income tax returns electronically. If you receive a reject error clue that indicates that you should file a paper return, and you file the paper return after June 17, 2015, a late filing penalty may be assessed.

Anyone who has a balance owing for 2014 should remember that it must be paid on or before April 30th, 2015. Interest and penalties will be applied as of May 5th, 2015.

NOTE: If you are an Efiler acting as a transmitter on behalf of a preparer, please communicate this message to the preparer.

Bruce, I would be extremely careful here, and not abuse the leeway we as professionals have been granted. This is not something for the general public. I would not share it with my clients that we have anything after April 30th. Can imagine if the CRA senses any abuse, they will take away this privelege.

1 Like

Point taken.

thanks,
Bruce

"Revision - Filing Deadline

Please ignore the April 24th message related to this topic.
All income tax and benefit returns transmitted electronically up until midnight, Eastern Time, on Thursday April 30, 2015, will be considered as filed on time. For records that are returned for correction, you will have until 3:00 a.m., Eastern Time, on Tuesday May 5, 2015 to correct and retransmit electronically. Records that are re-transmitted and accepted on or before Tuesday May 5, 2015, will be considered as filed on time.
If you receive a reject error clue indicating that you should file a paper return, and you file the paper return after April 30, 2015, a late filing penalty may be assessed. You should therefore file the paper return as soon as possible. Any enquiries requesting relief from the late-filing penalty should be directed to the applicable intake centre for consideration. You will also be required to send a copy of the non-accepted records list.

Clients who have self-employment income, and their spouses or common-law partners, have until midnight, Eastern Time, on Monday June 15, 2015, to file their income tax and benefit returns electronically.

Anyone who has a balance owing for 2014 should remember that it must be paid on or before April 30th, 2015. "

1 Like

and now today April 28th…

File by May 5 and incur no penalties or interest

On April 24, the CRA issued a communication to some Canadians that referred to an incorrect filing deadline for 2014 tax returns of May 5, 2015, rather than April 30, 2015.

The CRA takes full responsibility for the error and our first priority is to ensure that no Canadian is negatively affected.

As a result, and at Minister Findlay’s request, 2014 tax returns filed by midnight on May 5, 2015, will not incur interest or penalties.

The CRA sincerely regrets and apologizes for any confusion this may have caused.

I would be cautious about working to that deadline as CRA has indicated there is no grace period after that for rejected efiles. As a result, our office is sticking with the April 30 deadline to allow time to deal with any problems that crop up.