2017 Efile date to CRA

Anyone else notice how late we can efile to CRA this year. This doesn’t really work well for our procedures because we like to efile when the client is present and by the 26th we are already into our 100th file. I guess we’ll have to have them sign and not immediately see the Tax cycle :slight_smile: happy face. If anyone have suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. This is from the CRA website:

You can file online as early as February 26, 2018.

I start seeing my clients as soon as we can use Autofill which is February 12th… guess stockpiling is going to have to be a New Pile for this year for me too. Rachel

I never stop seeing clients. By the end of Feb I have seen 200-300 clients filed.

Guess you guys like redo’s…

I do not do T1’s until March.

1 Like

If my business was mostly T1 files, I would be seeing people too I guess. I have other work to do in February so my T1 files also do not start until sometime in March as well. I see their concern but there is little they can do about it.

I efile all year long - as long as CRA efile is open.

I segment my clients into nine types -

1. Simple slips only - Some of these need to efile early for various reasons. I build into my price the cost of a refile once all the slips are on file.

2. Slips and proprietorships - Some of these need to efile early for various reasons. I build into my price the cost of a refile once all the slips are on file.

3. Slips, RRSP contributions up to the last minute - I hate to efile these early. These take the most work to refile since some bank and credit union slips don’t show up on file until several months late. I add an extra PITA surcharge for these clients who insist on filing early and keep trickly RRSP slips well into the summer. As long as they are willing to pay the PITA surcharge and don’t need too much reassurance during the long T1Adj processing delay I am happy to serve them.

4. Slips, capital gains, and/or flow through shares - These clients know that their slips come late. I start chasing their medical and other info by end of February. I enter and prepare whatever I can. I contact their investment advisor for the ACB’s and slips. Then I update in early to mid April by comparing the client supplied docs to the CRA Rep a Client and Auto Fill data. I check these clients again in May and August for any amended slips. For problem situations I check monthly.

5. Multiple T4’s from small employers. I file when they appear. I check the T4’s on file monthly for up to three years. I prefer to refile then wait for CRA to initiate the assessment.

6. Dual citizens, and/ or foreign income - I have special timing and workflow depending upon the tax jurisdictions in which they have to file.

7. Special - multiple years, change of marital status to fix for multiple years, prior or pending bankruptcy, and, missing bookkeeping for corporation, partnership, and/or individual business or farm. These need a special workflow and lots of pre-work and post assessment reviews and reconciliations.

8. Special CRA - demand to file, CRA Review, CRA Audit, garnished wages - special and long workflow.

9. New Canadian, Re-entry to Canada, and/or Exit from Canada - special and long workflow.

Over the years I have thought about cutting back on my T1 practice in favour of T2’s and bookkeeping. However, I love tax prep and strategic tax planning; have invested 18 years of training and experience; and, love the client interaction and big picture view across all tax types. So, I am always on the look-out for improving my tax prep workflows and processes, while trying not to overly disrupt my bookkeeping and corporate tax practice.

I file only if they have all their slips already and know that all there is . Doing this for 30yr you get into a rhythm of what to expect . I will never give up my T1 clients I grow about 15% every year with them and my T2 grow about 10%. I am happy just like you are :grinning:

1 Like