Seeking Tech Stack Recommendations for Practice Expansion

Hello Everyone,

I’m undergoing a significant practice transition, moving from a sole-practitioner setup (15+ years) to acquiring a retiring CPA’s practice. This deal, closing in a few months, will quadruple my revenue and bring on five staff (3 full-time, 2 part-time).

I’m looking for recommendations to build a new, integrated, and (eventually) paperless tech stack.

Current / Incoming Tech Landscape:

  • My Current Practice: Uses TaxCycle and CaseWare ReviewComp (CWRC) for engagements, with a random assortment of apps for workflow and billing. I’ve previously avoided costly, extensive practice management software.

  • The Acquired Practice: Is entirely manual, relying on Lotus (yes, Lotus!) and paper. A full digital conversion is necessary, though thankfully, most staff are supportive.

  • Tax Software: I’m sticking with TaxCycle and will convert the new practice’s Profile files. Setting up staff option profiles is a minor concern.

  • Internal Accounting: I use QBO for my firm’s books.

Specific Pain Points & Requests:

1. Financial Statement/Engagement Software (Alternatives to CaseWare ReviewComp):

I’m not a huge fan of CWRC. I switched to it from CaseWare Desktop for its streamlined review engagement checklists, but I find the financial statement preparation too restrictive by default, requiring excessive customization. Their client portal is also poorly designed (not mobile-friendly or user-friendly), causing issues for my clients.

  • Request: Recommendations for alternatives to CaseWare ReviewComp. I’m currently looking at Countable but am open to other options. If I don’t find a compelling alternative, I’ll stick with CWRC, but I value your feedback.

2. Practice Management / Workflow & Time/Billing Software:

I need an application(s) to track client workflow and manage time and billing, especially as I scale and introduce staff. The solution needs to integrate well with QBO (my internal accounting system).

  • Request: What software do you use for workflow tracking and time/billing? I’m open to suggestions for QBO-integrated apps.

Overall Goals for the New Tech Stack:

This is a massive change, and I need products that are:

  • Easy to Transition to.

  • Staff-Friendly: Must be easy for multiple staff to use, ensuring we always know the status of any client file.

  • Cohesive: The apps don’t need to be all-in-one, but ideally work together.

  • User-Friendly: Especially important for two long-term staff members who are more hesitant about adopting a new, digital process.

I am looking for suggestions on products you are happy with (including notes on customer service) and any you’ve learned to avoid.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments!

I love my tech stack: once payment info received into Benji Pays (see below), all I do is track the WIP, create an invoice to close out, approve to push to Xero as draft, fix and approve in Xero as needed… and then nothing else required… Detail below.

As for FS, I use Countable, since it syncs with bookkeeping platforms and AJEs cannot be as easily deleted, modified, etc. Checklists are maintained as current (good for practice inspections).

Tax I use TaxCycle.


Xero Practice Manager for timesheets, WIP, etc. Plenty of customization for task and staff rates, jobs, tasks, etc. Generate the invoice to choose or WIP.

Push to Xero as draft. Tweak as needed. Approve, don’t email.

BenjiPays picks it up, emails to client automatically. Reminders about upcoming payments, overdue, etc. For most part, I’ve already requested payment info for either credit card or EFT (plenty of payment gateway options that will work wth it). Amount is drawn on invoice due date. Transaction receipt sent to client.

Benji Pays pushes payment info to Xero. AR closed out, cash JE is in clearing account (eg Moneris CAD).

Cash deposited into bank. Post as a bank transfer. Payment gateway clearing account should always come back to zero after receiving the deposit.