No records, client locked out from CRA

Hi there,

Just want to understand some of the options available to this client from your experiences.

Client filed 2017 - from what they told me.
They have no records of this. I asked them who filed it or to look for an email with a PDF. No luck. Has no idea.

Can’t add as a rep because no access to portal. CRA wants them to file returns to open access.

I can’t get any info from the CRA obviously like the balance sheet to base the next return on at least. Not even talking about losses, taxes payable, payroll deductions.

Client has no records or a copy of past return filed.

Anyone has any ideas on a walk-around here.

Client can call CRA and request a full and complete copy of their last filed T2 which will be mailed to the last address on file.

@rachelavryl
Not necessarily a T2 - it might be a T1.

Yes I told him that, and they are waiting for one but apparently they have not received it in 2 months.

In terms of T1 - so should I file a blank 2023 return (just with AFR numbers) and then adjust later? Would that be enough for them to give him access to the portal?

CRA will be asking questions about reports on the last report made. I a case like that I would tell the customer that I can’t help him without more information…

Do a ‘Access to Information’ request

1 Like

And tell your new client you will help him/her when you get the necessary information.