How to send a disability tax credit certificate for deceased client

I don’t have previous authorization on file for this client - they are new to prepare final and estate returns.
I am unable to submit through cra portal because not recognizing sin #.
Any suggestions other than mailing
thanks
cheryl

Get a copy of a document the deceased received from CRA to confirm name, spelling etc. for your Auth a Rep form. Copy of probated will confirming executor and ID

One point: the Will does not need to be probated. A Certified True Copy of the Will and the same for a Death Cert is likely all that needs to be filed with the Auth request…and yes…you’ll have to wait. You can (usually) upload these on RAC.

thank you. I do submit will and death certificate with authorization for my clients.
however, i am not able to upload on rac because of timing of having the authorization approved for a client that i didn’t have authorization for prior to their death.
i really don’t like mailing documents to cra because it takes so long.
was hoping for another option, even a fax number
thanks

Fax it in seems like a good option…what TSO? I think someone on here likely has a fax number for the TSO you need. If it’s one I have (most of them AFAIK) I’ll send it to you by DM.

You don’t need to have authorization for the client in order to submit documents on their behalf. But, you do need their SIN.

I would work on getting that figured out/corrected first. Sending the documents by fax isn’t going to be helpful if you can’t include the correct SIN.

2 Likes

i have the correct sin # but if the client wasn’t mine before they passed i don’t have authorization and sin# will not work

Sorry, I just assumed it “wouldn’t work” because you didn’t have the correct SIN. And to clarify my earlier statement - you DO need the appropriate authorization to submit a T2201 on behalf of the deceased. You DON’T need authorization to submit submit the will and death certificate:

Technically, you shouldn’t be submitting the T2201 by fax, either - if you don’t have the client’s authorization. The executor or legal representative should give you offline authorization first, or they could fax it themselves.

You can find the CRA fax numbers online (if @SmallBizGuy didn’t give them to you already…)

1 Like

It appears that the SIN is frozen. I had that problem in trying to see the status of the final return. The SIN was correct. CRA has flagged it.

thank you for the advice