Help with authorization of a client

I got a new client this year, and not sure if I was going to do next year for them I didn’t do an Authorization form with them.
I am now being asked to get information from Revenue Canada Represent a Client for one of them.
I have tried multiple times to prepare an Authorization Request and have been told Transmission Rejected.
I set it up as requesting Online access by an Individual as I am self Employed and I have tried filing cancelling all other representatives and rejected.
The person I am trying to get information for is getting divorced and the partner had previously prepared all the previous tax returns, until I had to do a refile for them.

Please help.
Thanks

I have a client I could not get the Rep a Client to work. It was accepted, but I still did not have access. It turned out (after talking with CRA) she had long ago told CRA no one was to have access to her info and had forgotten about that little thing. I could not get access until she accepted it through My Account at her end.

Pat Gamborg

PAT’s OFFICE

1354 Fed Road

Bear River NS B0S 1B0

902-467-3358

1 Like

What is the specific error on the transmission rejection? Frequently the name provided by the client does not match the name CRA has on file. Once that is reconciled the transmission is usually accepted.

Gregory Marko PEng, MBA, CPA CMA

P:416.527.4431 | F:416.850.4600

__Click Here __to securely send an encrypted file or message

This message and any files transmitted contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version or request transmission by electronically secure means.

1 Like

I think it might have something to do with the year. Change the return year to 2021, and try sending the authorization again.

Agreed, CRA will only accept transmission of the current year’s AuthRep (T1013). Pat - without additional information about the error you are receiving there is not much more help we can provide.

When preparing multiple tax years for a client who is new to me, I start with a current year tax return in order to be able to efile/net file this form. I rename this form as the “regular name _AuthRep_only” so that I can retain the electronic record of the filing. I add a memo with AuthRep filing date, confirmation #, and acceptance date.

Then I carry carry that return backwards to the earliest prior year that I will complete. This carries back the basic info. I then complete and file each prior year starting with the earliest. After completion and filing I carryforward the return as per normal procedures. When I arrive at the current tax year, because I have renamed the AuthRep file, I don’t override that record.

I have found this methodology to be useful when filing a large number of tax returns.

During years in which I have filed huge numbers of personal tax returns I create an all years folder for AuthRep signature pages and CRA confirmation page. I name then Smith, John, AuthRep, 2022-08-15. CRA confirm xxxxx.

I name these pdf files as:
Smith, John, AuthRep, 2022-08-15, signed on 2022-08-xx.
Smith, John, AuthRep, 2022-08-15, CRA netfile accepted, confirmation xxxxx.
Smith, John, AuthRep, 2022-08-15, CRA netfile pending, confirmation xxxxx.
Smith, John, AuthRep, 2022-08-15, CRA netfile pending, confirmation xxxxx, acceptance date xxxx-xx-xx

The spelling of the name can throw off the efile acceptance. Also, whether the middle initial is needed can throw it off as well.

One trick I use to save having to constantly efile and keep getting errors is to use the RAC authorization process in my browser. You go in and try to add an authorization, select individual. This web wizard won’t go onto the next screen (where you pick Level 1 or 2 authorization) unless you have the SIN, first name and last name right. If they use the initial, it goes after the first name in the first name field. This was you can play around with a few different spellings or adding in the initial.

Common naming issues:

• You have their married name when CRA still has their maiden name or vice versa
  • You are using a shortened version and CRA has the long version or vice versa (Ted vs Edward)
  • You have their initial included in TaxCycle but CRA doesn’t have it or vice versa
  • The client colloquially goes by their middle name and you have that as their first name

You can play around with all these issues until the web wizard brings you to the next screen. Then you know you got it right. Cancel out of the web authorization and make the required changes in TaxCycle and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

I like your style! Great idea…I’ve had the odd one rejected although usually I just ask for a recent NoA…but that is a great trick.

Got a puzzle here:
Trying to get an AuthRep filed for “initials-first” person and having trouble…

Ronald John Smith (taxpayer legal name) >> goes by R. John Smith
Jane Margaret Seymour (legal rep name) >> goes by J. Margaret Seymour
(above are obviously NOT their actual names)

Have tried every possible combination on RAC without any success at all. Any ideas?

Have you tried the initial and the first name in the first name field?

I mean it could be anything:

First Name Middle Initial Last Name
R John Smith
Ronald J Smith
Ronald John Smith
Ronald John Smith
John Smith
Ronald Smith

I had a client who went by their middle name but their CRA authorization only worked if I used the first letter of the first name in the first name field, and their middle name in the middle initial field.

Oh, and the period might matter. In my above client, I had to but a “.” after the first initial. So for your client, putting R. John as the first name might be the ticket.

I do the same, saves having to get client to sign new form on each try!