A question on Ethics & Privacy

I have a new client who I am preparing 2020 & 2021 returns & T2125 for her and spouse. Upon looking onto CRA website I find that her 2017 was never received by CRA but spouses was. CRA says, by phone call, never submitted. Previous prepare said yes it was sent.

Here is my concern of ETHICS, LAWS & PRIVACY. The preparer took a photo of computer screen showing not only the client, but names, SIN #'s, DOB’s for 26 clients including my client. In Processing Status column it says “EFILE acknowledgement OK”

The prepare then sent another photo showing that the DT Max log report saying processing was complete. Did not provide client with a CRA confirmation number of the Transmission results.

I am upset and can’t believe that someone in our business would share that much private information with a photo. Do I contact CRA, keep my mouth shut, or what? Is this something that has happened to others losing files after transmission?

I sent my client a copy of a T1 Electronic Transmission Result with name & SIN blacked out appropriately. I am thinking of suggesting my client contact CRA and send them the photo to show she filed with good intention.

Looking forward to the response from all of you.

Have a great weekend.

Tom

You send the other party a nice note saying that you are a bit disturbed by the picture sent - for which you now need to be careful - and that, perhaps in the future, s/he obtain image editing software that allows her/him to blur out unrelated information to the issue at hand as a matter of privacy to her/his other clients.

Period.

No, you don’t report it to CRA (they won’t do anything anyway) or anyone else. A quiet, personal reminder is the best approach. We all make mistakes. Hopefully this will help the other party to remember that these things matter.

2 Likes

I think it serves as a reminder for all

I’m in agreement with @SmallBizGuy in dealing directly with the tax preparer.
When I worked in the corporate world, staff would find it extremely annoying when fellow peers would take issues forward to the manager to be addressed vs first addressing the issue directly with the staff member involved. We should always try to resolve issues directly with the person involved, taking it forward to higher authorities only if it is obvious that the issues continue. A little polite coaching and direction goes a long way to correcting someone’s behavior, especially when it’s a fellow peer. It’s an approach which I have used before with another tax practitioner and was very appreciated.

Your input, ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated. As mentioned, we have all made mistakes. I will approach the preparer with tact and diplomacy as I made need their help some day :slight_smile:

Tom

1 Like