Filing amended T1s

I have a new client that filed their 2018 T1 return using H&R Block’s online system. Lots of errors… Needless to say, I need to refile their returns as amended.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to go about this? Should the “Change My Return” through Represent a Client be used; or, can it just be filed through TaxCycle? I can’t seem to find a “Amended” stamp in TaxCycle though.

I would enter it in TaxCycle as originally filed then do a T1adj refile with the corrections.

Unfortunately, the client did not print off a copy of their ‘as filed’ returns and schedules that would be needed to simply do a T1ADJ. The only thing I have to base the original on is CRA’s assessment; which does not contain all of the data.

The NOA doesn’t have all of the needed data, but the filed return online under RAC does have everything that you should need.

I thought my solution was too simple - I would prepare the return in TaxCycle and paper file it with an explanation.

Hi there,

Go to Represent a Client, go to Tax returns, you will see Notice of Assessment and Assessment, open the Assessment and it will show all the information.

Please explain…

You first said that you checked the return that the client “filed their 2018 T1 return using H&R Block’s online system. Lots of errors…”

Next you said that “the client did not print off a copy of their ‘as filed’ returns and schedules that would be needed to simply do a T1ADJ.”

How did you determine that there were “Lots of errors…”?

If you determined that there were lots of errors on the H&B Block Software, then:

1. If the return was prepared using the online software, the return is still available for printing as a PDF,
  2. If the return was not prepared using the online software, you can still prepare the original return from the CRA return transcript available from Represent a Client.

If the issue is that you can’t prepare an “automatic” adjustment, then you prepare a manual one. In either case, you can do this.