Fast find changed?

Is it just me or has the fast find changed with one of the recent updates?

Historically, when you pressed F4 and typed in 776, the top hit was for the statement of real estate rentals (either an existing one or the option to create a new one). Now the top hit is a line item on the T1273 for “Sales of 2021 Canada-Alberta livestock feed…” Then the next 3 options are various line item codes (again for the T1273).

Nothing against being able to search those line items, but do they have to be the default top hit? We definitely deal with way more rentals than we do sales of livestock feed in Alberta.

Is there a setting in the options that I missed that changed the fast find to search line items before forms?

It’s the same issue with the T778 and I would guess possibly other forms which I haven’t come across yet.

That was the case for 2021 tax returns as well. It always catches me and I wish that agriculture form had a different number (or a different jump code). After you mistakenly choose it, you then have to delete the form; otherwise you get an error message reminding you to complete it.

Hi there,

You have to put the T in front of the form numbers you are looking for.

You can still search for the T2125 or T2042 (or any other number of forms) without including the T in front of the form number. That’s that way it was in the past with the T776 and/or T778. Now you’re forced to either include the T before the form number or tab down to the form in the fast find window.

Much easier to hit F4, type in 776 and hit enter.

I hadn’t realized the change had happened that long ago. For 2021 I had all my favourite shortcuts setup and must have used those exclusively. I haven’t copied my 2021 favourites to 2022 yet - plan on trying something different so starting from scratch. I guess I’ll need to add the T776 and T778 to my favourites again - so much for minimizing favourites. :frowning:

same for when you type 183 for the t183.

LOL - drives me crazy in the T2s when I (still!) enter 100 and get some Alberta form…

I’d rather that it worked that typing “776” would take me to the Rental Income/Expense form, as it has in the past

2 Likes

has not changed, is working as designed. When I type 776, I want it to go to line 776, not form T776

Right. I really don’t know what the big deal is. Just type an additional T if you are looking for T776.

I’m with @BertMulderCGA on this one …
I’ve “ALWAYS” used just the number to take me to the LINE number, and used the “T” in front of the number to take me to the specific form tab. Used it this same way in Profile too. So I’ve never encountered this specific issue except in situations where there are identical Line numbers on different forms.

My apologies, I misspoke when I said line item. Typing in 776 doesn’t bring you to a specific line (like typing in 26000 would bring you to taxable income), but rather a line code item on the Statement A. As Kevin mentioned, if you’re not paying attention, you then end up creating an agriculture form that you then need to delete. Muscle memory from using TaxCycle (and ProFile prior to that) for so many years has conditioned me to simply press F4, type in 776 and enter to go to the rental schedule.

While using fast find to go to a specific line item is very useful, I can’t see how adding code 776 on the Statement A using fast find is of any use. Odds are if you’re working with agriculture codes, you’re already on the Statement A. It would be much more useful to take you to the rental form (IMHO).

It has indeed changed - maybe not specifically attributed to TaxCycle changing something on their end (other than including those new codes). My guess would be it changed in 2021 when those new farm codes were introduced. And I understand it’s working as designed - doesn’t mean I have to like it and can’t ask if maybe it could be changed, If the majority of users prefer it this way and/or TaxCycle (Xero) decides they don’t want to change it, that’s fine. I can work around that.

Speed.

Not having to think about the “T”, which is now a change of process for many.