DoxCycle Suggestions (2021 T1s)

Organization, documentation and integration with Taxcycle alone make it a valuable tool whether you post from it or not.

Not to mention staff that do not necessarily prepare returns can be utilized in procedure.

I can organize the documents and edit them in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

I guess I am
Dead Horse

:grinning:

1 Like

I think this comes down to the fact that while we all end up with a completed return, the processes to get there vary greatly from one office to the next.

We came to TaxCycle/DoxCycle from TaxPrep/Scan. We found the Trilogy system a lot more efficient for us.

IMHO, the best training session that could be organized to show the benefits of the TaxCycle/DoxCycle combination would be real world users showing their processes. The processes Arliss uses are likely different than what we do. Seeing a few different processes may help others to be a bit more efficient, or may confirm that their current systems work best.

Since I started using TaxCycle a few years ago I have been using DocCycle and totally love it. I do AFR with most clients but CRA doesnā€™t always have all the slips. I am trying to get rid of paper and having a program that is linked directly to the tax return is puts everything in one place. I hope that DocCycle keeps being part of the picture.

Part of it why I donā€™t use it might be that I am a single practitioner without staff. So I do everything myself anyway. I can see the benefits if you have staff that just inputs data.

Exactly why I donā€™t use itā€¦ single partitioner find it too bulkyā€¦totally understand why a larger organization would find it useful.

Do you think your mind would be changed if the performance of DoxCycle improved? We like the system and will continue to use it, but we do get frustrated with some of the performance issues and bugs that linger from year to year.

I think DoxCycle would be of interest to more people if OCR improved. It still canā€™t consistently detect a T4A and rarely picks up the boxes and amounts. We end up with far too many boxes being filled in on the T4A (P) so we have to delete most of them. And I think there should be better matching of the correct taxpayer by using the SIN on slips. These and the performance issues (slow to render, difficulty in dragging documents to the correct location, navigating the OCR boxes when things need to be added or changed) have all been mentioned in the past with very little results to show.

So far my only complaint with Trilogy is the lack of attention given to improving DoxCycle. It seems to have had very few fixes/improvements since we started using it back in 2014. Maybe it is time for some serious attention to be given to it.

2 Likes

I rarely use DC for slips - especially if they are on AFR. I just donā€™t see the point, and ALL my clients are RAC-authorized. But I do use it and would love its OCR to be better for both Charitables and Medicalsā€¦and the fact that when I import them they have to be one-to-a-page is definitely a downer. The inability to add a second, third or fourth posting box (esp for Rx receipts) is a limitation. Iā€™m uncertain whether Iā€™ll continue to use it.

The other thing (I posted about this, but no response anywhere) was the very annoying multi-level bookmark annotation of the file. I donā€™t need the date and time of the print in the bookmarking, or the fact that its a tax returnā€¦just give me the file and bookmark the page names!

You can. Just clic on ā€œAddā€¦ā€ under the description field in the posting box. Not sure if there is a limit of ā€œAddā€ we can do though.

Add posting box DC

As much as AFR is a great benefit, I donā€™t over-rely on it. I see cases every day in March where the client has slips that havenā€™t been posted on CRAā€™s system.

I agree with @matthew that DoxCycle has suffered from a lack of attention to get it over-the-hump to be a truly effective ā€œmust-haveā€ working paper program. I can see that in a larger firm it allows for standardization.

Tep - you can add a second amountā€¦but you canā€™t add it with a name (thinking C/Dons here)

With Rx you can add amounts, which is OK, but not ā€œproviderā€. Frankly, the Patient is not relevant to add IMO, as long as s/he is qualified to claim. Iā€™d rather have a ā€œProviderā€ in there.

But CRA doesnā€™t really seem to care - if I ship 'em a PDF with the amounts addedā€¦and they tally and qualify, theyā€™re fine with it. More work we donā€™t need, so adding all that stuff isnā€™t really that useful unless DC can pick it up directly from the receipt. Adding tapes are quick and easy, and an unlabelled scan is fine.

I send my clients a screen cap of ā€œwhat I have from CRAā€ and ask for all the rest. This solves the ā€œit isnā€™t on CRAā€™s siteā€ issue.

1 Like

We would be interested in a way to rescan an individual form. What we are finding is that if DoxCycle does net recognize a slip and we set it as the proper type of form it gets the proper dialogue for the slip type, but that does not get populated. We would find it useful to be able to have the OCR/extraction performed on the slip.

1 Like

Another thing I would find useful in DoxCycle:
There are shortcut buttons for scanning on the Home ribbon. It would be nice if, when dragging a document into DoxCycle, we could drop it on one of those button to have it properly categorized (or some other system for dropping when we know what category document should be). This would save time when adding documents we create or non-slip documents received from the client electronically.

3 Likes

Like other sole practioners, I can do quite well without DoxCycle.