CRA Submit Documents on website

I’m tried to submit a document on CRA website “represent a client.” I took the usual steps.
It only shows buttons for “choose file” “attach file” and “cancel.”

In the end, my short description was way over 100 characters. Shortened the description to 100 char and it worked.

It’s frustrating as there was no error message from CRA.

Anyone else had this problem?

I have a hard time stringing together that many words so it doesn’t happen to me!

1 Like

Hi

My “get around” on this point is that i always type a memo/letter to the dept to explain the situation, table of contents( attachment a.1 is …, a.2 is …etc)

The is the first file i upload and descriptions for the uploads are brief/generic memo, receipts, etc

I do find it helps to give the dept all the info they need in a very organized manner which leaves no doubt hence labelling each piece of paper and creating a table of contents.

Hope this helps

Rachel

@hudson

For submit a client, I create a cover letter which I submit with each document set. I use a recognizable naming convention for my documents or document set.

I use the description field for reference purposes only. I keep the description to one to three short sentences. The description field is used for the electronic routing purposes only.

Each CRA Tax Center has someone who routes the documents to a work group such as -
T1 processing current year,
T1 processing prior years,
T1 Adjustment processing,
T1 specialty services (address change, marital status change, etc)
T1 pre and post assessment review
T1 Voluntary Disclosure Program
T1 Taxpayer Relief Program
T1 compliance
T1 matching
etc

T2 employer services
T2 processing
T2 review or audit
T2 compliance
CRA trust examiner review - T4 and GST/HST
Corporate Voluntary Disclosure Program
etc

So, the description field is used to route your request the correct Tax Center or Tax Services Office, and, to the correct program or processing unit, and/or to the correct individual or queue.

COVER LETTER
My cover letter is in hybrid memo format. It includes client name, tax entity name, tax year or years affected, CRA routing info, CRA reference number if applicable. Body contains executive summary, list of attachments, my signature, often my client’s signature, request for CRA action, and executive summary of key details.

ATTACHMENTS
CRA Forms
CRA Returns
Client supporting documents
Tax organizer info if relevant
Working papers or reconciliations if relevant and/or required.

NAMING CONVENTIONS
Tax entity name, deliverable, tax year, reference number, CRA routing.

Smith, John, T1 2018, CRA-WTC, post assessment review, TBxxxx,
Smith, John, RC325, CRA-WTC, T1 specialty services, address change, years 2018-2019,

ABC Corp, T2 2018, CRA-WTC, attn John Doe, audit or review type, reference,

This works for me.

Hi guys;
Where can I claim Fuel/ Gas and Taxicab rental expenses in T2125? I mean if someone is renting a car rather than owning the vehicle.

Thank you.

@lepageaccounting

Welcome to this wonderful and active tax forum.

T2125 Expense codes
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002/t4002-5.html#tocch3

Taxi rent - line 8910
The taxi is rented for business use. Use the rent expense line.

There is an option to add to vehicle expense outside of the auto form but also pulling to the vehicle expense line. This is generally used for those who use their personal vehicle for business travel and who occasionally use a rental vehicle. In this case each vehicle would need a separate auto form.

In the case of a taxi rental it is better to use the rental expense line. It provides a clearer and more accurate GL and reduces audit risk.

“### Line 8910 – Rent
You can deduct rent incurred for property used in your business. For example, you can deduct rent for the land and building where your business is situated. The rent expense related to the business use of your home has to be claimed on line 9945 in Part 5.”

Taxi fuel and gas - line 9281 - use auto form, log odo reading at start and end of each shift + enter all vehicle expenses in auto form.

complete using vehicle form

" business icon fish icon Line 9281 – Motor vehicle expenses (not including CCA)

You can deduct expenses you incur to run a motor vehicle you use to earn business or fishing income. Fill in “Chart A – Motor vehicle expenses” on your form. The chart will help you calculate the amount of motor vehicle expenses you can deduct. If you are a partner in a partnership and you incur motor vehicle expenses for the business through the use of your personal vehicle, you can claim those expenses related to the business on line 9943 in Part 5.

If you use your vehicle occasionally for business purposes, you can claim motor vehicle expenses on a per-trip basis. For example, taking the children to a park or on an excursion may involve paying for fuel and parking.

If you regularly use your vehicle for business and personal trips, you can claim part of the total operating expenses for your vehicle as a business expense. You must keep accurate records that show the part of the total kilometres that you drove for your business."

Vehicle Kms Log
CRA requires a kms log. However in the case of taxi the taxi company logs on the trip kms not the in-between kms.

How you log business kms varies by the pick-up location of the taxi. If you have the taxi at home then your first pickup location is the start of your odometer readings for the day and your last pickup drop off point is the end of your odometer readings for the day or shift.

If you need to travel to a taxi pick up location then your starting odometer reading is at the pickup location and ending odo reading is at the drop off location.

I ask my clients to track their times and odometer reading in either a paper calendar or a Google Sheet. They report their odometer reading at the start and end of each and every shift. Each month has a new Google Sheet. Vehicle expenses are sub-totaled by month. This way any CRA reviewer can quickly and easily track expenses per kms by day, by month, or by year. This makes for easy peasy trust examiner (GST) and audit review.

DETAILED LOG
They can obtain their detailed call log from their tax dispatch on a monthly basis if they wish or if needed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/sole-proprietorships-partnerships/business-expenses/motor-vehicle-expenses/motor-vehicle-records.html

" Motor vehicle records

Full logbook

The best evidence to support the use of a vehicle is an accurate logbook of business travel maintained for the entire year, showing for each business trip, the destination, the reason for the trip and the distance covered.

You can deduct motor vehicle expenses only when they are reasonable and you have receipts to support them. To get the full benefit of your claim for each vehicle, keep a record of the total kilometres you drive and the kilometres you drive to earn business income.

For each business trip, keep a log listing the following:

• date
  • destination
  • purpose
  • number of kilometres you drive

Record the odometer reading of each vehicle at the start and end of the fiscal period.

If you change motor vehicles during the fiscal period, record the dates of the changes and the odometer reading when you buy, sell, or trade the vehicle."

Equipment rental when renting a car
Travel for the taxi cabs

Please start a new thread for a question. Having it dropped in as an off-topic post makes it hard to find your replies and risks it not being answered at all.

1 Like

ARGHH.

Submit documents was not working at 2019 YE.

FYI – I was able to submit documents to a business number on the 30th, but I do know a number of features were on maintenance mode over YE in Rep a Client.

@gregory
Good to know that Business Number submit a document is working.

For individuals, I can get as far as uploading the document, but no further. I can not finish the submission. I tried again this morning 2020-01-02. Still not working.

For individuals, change my return is working.

The business version of submit documents has specific requirements for file names. Among other items, no spaces or special characters.

@dominique_dabolczi Do you have two sign on accounts for the discussion group???

@TimParris
Thank you.
I have no spaces or commas. No dollar signs.I will retry with a shorter file name.
I do have underscore and dashes for spacing. Are these allowed?

Underscores and dashes are not allowed.

@TimParris
I retried with no underscores and no dashes. Still no uploading.

During the past week I have been unable to submit documents through Rep A Client for individual taxpayers. This may be due to temporary restrictions within Rep A Client during the Christmas holidays. This may be due to file naming restrictions. However I have tried multiple naming conventions without commas, spacing, or any special characters. I have removed all dashes and underscores. I have varied my browser - IE, Mozilla, and Chrome to see if this may be due to pop-up restrictions with no difference in result.

At this time I am able to start the submit document process, attach the document, and then the screen just freezes with no error message. The attachment seems to be there but the upload process seems to be stalled. I receive no confirmation. I have no choice but to abort my submission.

I am able to run Change My Return. This works fine. My submission is completed and I receive a confirmation number.

Do you have any comments, suggestions, or feedback?

Call CRA - They may not be aware that there is a problem…

when you said you removed dashes, etc is it on the file name? I just submitted one a minute ago.
It was a pdf, also be careful not to exceed the number of characters on the description.