Child care expenses - Taekwondo class

I did some research and think Taekwondo tuition fee is not eligible child care expenses. But the taxpayer shows the receipt says “tax receipt”. “Tax Receipt” means that this relates to tax deduction. Did I miss anything? Is Taekwondo class tuition fee tax deductible? Thanks!

Some TKD clubs offer “after-school” programs similar to a PLASP program, so this could be the circumstance.

In Manitoba, it would qualify for the Manitoba Fitness Credit on the MB428.
The payout is very small, however. Max receipt total = $500, and payout is 10.8% of receipt value. So max refund if you have $500 of receipts = $54.00.
I think several other provinces may also have a Fitness Credit.

TKD or Karate could be argued to be childcare… IF it is a drop off and you are going to work.

Like me… tonight I dropped my child off at TKD class at 5:50pm… drove 8 mins to home… worked from approx. 6:00 until 6:45pm and then returned to pick him up :blush:

Very convenient for me to meet a set of clients for a quick signing, return emails, phone calls and work on returns during this very busy time of year.

However, if parents are just going to get groceries or coffee or wait in the car… it would not be.

I would think you would have to look at the individual situation.

Yes, some clubs offer after school care/training… mine does not as we are rural

Feel free to upload documents to me safely and securely by clicking the link below.

STAY SAFE AND DON’T FORGET TO SMILE :blush:

Rachel Parlee

Public Accountant

5575 Route 895

Colpitts Settlement, NB E4J 3A2

Cell ( 506) 874-3093

Home ( 506) 372-8060

Secure Signature Image

That might be just the owner of the studio putting that on receipts to help with his sales. So I really doubt it.

My wife owns a yoga studio and on occasion her clients will ask for a “Tax Receipt” which presumably they will try and write off as medical expense. She will print them a statement of what they have paid and tells them that it likely is not deductible and off they go. And of course CRA will “Accept” it (because it hasn’t been reviewed) and a myth is born.

1 Like

Interesting to read the link… as long as it’s enabling the parents to work.

1 Like

From 2012 to 2016 there was a federal provision - the Children’s Fitness Credit. They discontinued it in 2017, but many of those fitness providers didn’t get the message that it was discontinued, and still try to “help” their customers by making them aware of it. And, as noted by @kozakworld some provinces (i.e. Manitoba, Saskatchewan, etc) still provide provincial credits for such fitness expenditures.

1 Like