Homeschooling

A client has two kids, 8 & 10 years old. He does homeschooling by having a teacher at his house to teach kids as if they were in school. Regular classes are taken at home.
He has a statement that shows tuition paid and other charges for classes taken.
Are these tuition deductible somewhere? I don’t see it in schedule 11 because the children have to be over 16 years. The P105 guide does not show anything about homeschooling.
Also, search online but nothing I could find to be claimed in a personal income tax.

Could one re-classify it as day-care expense?

Atul

Yes, I did read it as it could be classified as daycare expense but not sure if I could do that.

Unfortunately not. Homeschooling cost is not tax deductible as there has not been any sort of fiscal measures pass by the federal government.

One of the criteria considered as child care expense, is that the child needs to attend an educational program that has to be offered by a secondary school, college, university, or other designated educational institution. This includes any institution certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada for courses that develop or improve occupational skills. An eligible program has to last at least three consecutive weeks.

1 Like

Homeschooling families are eligible for the Canada Child Benefit, the Disability Tax Credit, and any other tax credits or benefits related to families and children in Canada, but they are not homeschooling specific.