Change principal taxpayer on file

Is there an easy way to change the principal taxpayer, other than detaching and re-coupling?

I am finding that most of my files have the male as principal but, more often than not, I am communicating with the spouse. I use the client manager to batch send correspondence and when I want to send to only the principal, the one who should get the correspondence does not get it.

Going forward I will be making my Primary the one who I interact with most, but I would like to change the other files if its not too much trouble.

Alternatively, a secondary email on the file might be helpful to CC the email to.

3 Likes

Hey all, use the vote button if you like this idea so we can gauge how useful this would be for everyone.

1 Like

This would be a fantastic feature as we run into this all the time but it’s too much of a hassle to change it manually. Not sure what the vote button is but I used the heart :slight_smile:

Ditto @AlbertaEFileT

Nice idea (the button to swap the principal taxpayer and spouse).

As such it would take a quarter second rather than a quarter minute to decouple and re-couple returns. It’s not a big issue in our firm - it would save at most 5 minutes per year of “wasted” time. But, it may be a feature to attract new TaxCycle users/customers, who don’t know how to uncouple/recouple returns - easier to find that button on the toolbar than to search the online TaxCycle help pages…

Not sure about the “secondary email” idea - I’m guessing that could be accomplished with the existing “custom fields”?

1 Like

There is a button at the top of the thread:

1 Like

Hi Sarka, couldn’t find the button, but yes, it would be a great feature. Thank you
Klaus Theyer Exact Tax Service

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have logged this to take a look at what we might be able to do to make this easier as part of our work for next tax season.

While working on a file today I found that I needed a contact email for someone other than the tax filer or spouse. So my new wish on this would be a place for Primary contact email (other than email used for e-signature). The situation is where the taxpayer will be signing, but all correspondence is going to a parent and the files are not linked.

1 Like

Seconded! We frequently have one person signing but someone else is who we correspond with. Or TaxFolder doesn’t play nice with their primary email so we need one for signing and one for communications. Our info pages are giant orange flags usually with additional info on memos.

1 Like