2017 Suggestions

1. 2YearSummary form: For the “follow up on variance(s) over”, I don’t care to follow up on a 5% variance of less than a certain amount. With that in mind, would it be feasible to add two things?
    a) a box to select "And or Or"
    b) an input cell for dollar amounts
1 Like
  1. A simple suggestion for the Worfklow: The ability to add our own custom steps. We have our own method of tracking whether we mail our client(s) returns or whether they pick them up. It would be handy if that would be a custom box which we could check off within the workflow in TaxCycle.
    Our office would be one of those which would add more custom items. :slight_smile:
1 Like
  1. It would be nice if Doxcycle had some sort of smart selection when it comes time for posting. Maybe consider the prior year slip name and suggest it to over write said slip instead of defaulting to new slip; in addition, It would be nice to hide (with the ability to view if required) the slips that have had a document from Doxcycle posted to them.
  1. The guys and gals of Taxcycle could edit these posting to indicate which suggestions they have implemented during the next year so we could test it out and give feedback as required. They could also tell us which suggestions have a snowballs chance in H E double hockey sticks to ever be implemented.

@james1 We aren’t ignoring you. We are just watching the list while we try and get the rest of the items for this season ready (like ReFILE). Rest assured we’ll come back to it later. We will review it closer to the end of the season to see what gets implemented. Several of these we already have on our wish-list too.

Also, if you haven’t noticed yet, we try to include a section in our release notes about suggestions we have responded too. Many come from this community.

Thank you all for putting in your suggestions.

1 Like

@Elizabeth

I was not thinking you were ignoring me since I was not expecting many of these changes for this tax season. I just figured that I do not always read the release notes in detail so having someone modify the posting to indicate you have implemented it (or not going to) would be helpful since my 2018 request list will include the items not cleared during this year.

Thanks. I understand now. @james1 I also have been thinking that nearer the end of the season, I will create a blog post listing all the great changes that have come from the suggestions this season.

1. T3 Trust return could have a diagnostic that line 95 is greater than line 94.

1. Consider a specific review mark for each position

Instead of overwriting the previous check mark allow them to be cumulative so I can tell what the previous staff did.

Allow me to link the review mark to position so when I long in it knows what mark I want.

1 Like
  1. Link the program to the Windows server active directory so I know who was in the file
  1. in the Review sidebar, would it be possible to have the cells with override still show under the “overrides” dropdown even after they are signed off on, similar to the memos and tapes.

This would come in handy in making sure the second reviewer can identify and review all the overridden cells, even if they were checked by a first reviewer.

1. Similar to point 8. AFR should clear audit messages

1. I would prefer that the AFR be downloaded and allow us to change the slip it is linked to after the fact without doing a new download. I just downloaded four T4A slips from the same company that Taxcycle automatically linked to the wrong slip in the file and it was very frustrating to link them properly.

2. subsequent downloads should give us the option to ignore slips that have been downloaded previously.

2 Likes
  1. The Printing of a tax return (T1, T2, T3 etc) should automatically trigger a checkmark in the “Printed” box in the Workflow Summary.

likewise…

1. The “Locking” of a return (indicated by a dark red bar across the top of the return) after an Efile transmission might perhaps trigger a checkmark in the “Completed” box in the Workflow Summary. The big red bar actually says “Return is efiled or marked complete” but the workflow status does not get updated to “Completed”.

Unless I have something configured incorrectly, I find myself having to manually check off these steps in the workflow summary.

3 Likes

when checking data received on workflow, would be nice if it entered date on engagement page.

Currently, when doing a batch carryforward, or when doing a batch print, it will enter the person doing that as the preparer. Also, these dates should be coupled for spouses

However, at this point if should either leave preparer blank, or enter last years preparer. As such, would be nice if there was an extra field on the engagement pagef listing last year’s preparer.

Similar to the family print, would be great if the workflow for the family showed side by side…

1 Like
  1. Optimization or Review Message - T1; Taxcycle should be able to calculate fairly easily whether an election under subsection 82(3) - Dividends Received by Spouse might reduce tax payable in the case of a married couple.

For an individual who is married and has reported taxable dividends on line 120
Logic something along the lines of;

If (line 236 minus line 120) is less than the amount on line 300 (Basic personal amount) then perhaps a Review Message may trigger on line 120 something like; “It may be beneficial for the spouse with the higher income to report all taxable dividends”

In some cases declaring all dividends on the return of the spouse with the higher income, in order to create or increase the spousal claim, and use the FDTC results in a marked reduction in combined tax payable. In other instances it may not. It might be a bit of a stretch for Taxcycle to know what to do, but I don’t think it would be difficult to code in a Review Message to prompt the user to investigate further in circumstances where this automatic election may be available.

5 Likes
  1. There should not be an AFR query for this line in the T4 entry screen

3 Likes

The discussion about foreign currency on T5008s reminded me: It would be nice to have DoxCycle pick up box 27 on T5s and post that to TaxCycle.

It would be nice to be able to email a print set from both spouses and/or family members at once. For example, we have a “documents for signing” e-courier print set that we send to out of town clients or those who can’t make it in to the office. We would like to either include every taxpayer in the file in one PDF or be able to create separate PDFs for each person at once based on the print set and have those all attached to one e-courier email instead of having to send multiple emails.

6 Likes