Tuition Transfer Template

Does someone have a tuition transfer template?

This is what I have so far, but it is clunky and I am forced to add the recipient’s name even though taxcycle (should) know who got it and their relationship.

I designate _____________________, my ___________________, to claim {{CurrentClient.S11.TransferCarryforwardAmount.M[8]}} (1) on line 324 of his/her federal Schedule 1, or on line 360 of his/her federal Schedule 2, as applicable; {{CurrentClient.ONS11.TransferCarryforwardAmount.M[8]}} (2) on line 5860 of his/her provinicial or territorial Form 428, or on line 5909 of his/her provincial or territorial Schedule (S2), as applicable.

Note 1: Line (1) above cannot be more than line 23 of your federal Schedule 11.

Note 2: If you resided in a province or territory other than Quebec on December 31, line (2) above cannot be more than line 19 (line 23 for Yukon and Nunavut) of your provincial or territorial Schedule (S11). If you resided in Quebec on December 31, an entry is not required on line (2) above.

Note 3: If you did not reside in the same province or territory as the designated individual on December 31, special rules may apply. For more information, call 1-800-959-8281.

Signature: _______________________________________________

Date: _________________________________________________

Student Name: {{ CurrentClient.Info.ID.FirstName }} {{ CurrentClient.Info.ID.LastName }}
Social Insurance Number: {{ format(CurrentClient.Info.ID.SIN)}}

I designate ________________, my , to claim {{CurrentClient.S11.TransferCarryforwardAmount.M[8]}} (1) on line 324 of his/her federal Schedule 1, or on line 360 of his/her federal Schedule 2, as applicable; (2) on line 5860 of his/her provinicial or territorial Form 428, or on line 5909 of his/her provincial or territorial Schedule (S2), as applicable.

Note 2: If you resided in a province or territory other than Quebec on December 31, line (2) above cannot be more than line 19 (line 23 for Yukon and Nunavut) of your provincial or territorial Schedule (S11). If you resided in Quebec on December 31, an entry is not required on line (2) above.

Note 3: If you did not reside in the same province or territory as the designated individual on December 31, special rules may apply. For more information, call 1-800-959-8281.

Signature: _______________________________________________

Student Name: {{ ID.FirstName }} {{ ID.LastName }}

Hi @TimParris. Your question caught my eye because it is interesting, useful, and a little tricky to solve. Try the following code and see if it works for you. A few notes:

1. This code assumes that this is a family return, because the only way to get the relationship details is from the principal taxpayer or spouse’s return and others from the dependant’s.
  2. This code assumes you are including the letter in the dependant’s return.
  3. It’s complicated condition to get the parent/grandparent’s name and the relationship, because we save the relationship from the parent/grandparent’s perspective, so we have to reverse it. And, we need to make sure that it pulls the worksheet for the correct dependant when there are multiple. That’s this condition you see: {{#UniqueId = CurrentClient.UniqueId}} (Full disclosure: I to asked @Cameron for help to figure that out.)

I designate {{! Transfer Recipient Details }}{{< names1 }}{{#S1.FederalNRTC.M[36]}}{{Info.ID.FirstName}} {{Info.ID.LastName}}, my{{#Dependant}}{{#UniqueId = CurrentClient.UniqueId}}{{#Identification.Relationship=“Grandchild”}} grandparent{{/end}}{{#(Identification.Relationship=“Daughter”) or (Identification.Relationship=“Son”) or (Identification.Relationship=“Child”)}} parent{{/end}}{{/end}}{{/Dependant}}{{/S1.FederalNRTC.M[36]}}{{/ names1 }}{{# File.Principal }}{{> names1 }}{{/ File.Principal }}{{# File.Partner }}{{> names1 }}{{/ File.Partner }}, to claim {{CurrentClient.S11.TransferCarryforwardAmount.M[8]}} (1) on line 324 of his/her federal Schedule 1, or on line 360 of his/her federal Schedule 2, as applicable; {{CurrentClient.ONS11.TransferCarryforwardAmount.M[8]}} (2) on line 5860 of his/her provincial or territorial Form 428, or on line 5909 of his/her provincial or territorial Schedule (S2), as applicable.

Signature: _____________________________________________

Student Name: {{ CurrentClient.Info.ID.FirstName }} {{ CurrentClient.Info.ID.LastName }}

The result should look like this:

I designate Madison Jones, my parent, to claim $5000 (1) on line 324 of his/her federal Schedule 1, or on line 360 of his/her federal Schedule 2, as applicable; $0 (2) on line 5860 of his/her provincial or territorial Form 428, or on line 5909 of his/her provincial or territorial Schedule (S2), as applicable.

Signature: _____________________________________________

Student Name: Jeremy Jones
Social Insurance Number: 814 632 873

1 Like

Thanks for this code @Elizabeth. I will be trying to incorporate it into our current client letter.

On the other side of the equation, is there a way to get the gender of the student who is making the transfer to the supporting person? I would rather have our letter say hers or his, as the case may be) rather than their when we are speaking in the singular.

@matthew More tricky code because it is isn’t directly indicated on the Dependant worksheet.

So, just to note, you can reference the gender of all Dependants returns in the file by using the File.Dependants prefix or code.

{{#File.Dependants}}{{Info.ID.Gender}}{{/File.Dependants}}

But, the above code with give you all the genders of dependants in the file. So, if you have multiple dependants, it will show up like this:

malefemale

Not very helpful, right? So, the question is how to reference a specific dependant. That’s kind of what I did with the {{#UniqueId = CurrentClient.UniqueId}} code above to get the right relationship.

Even if we added a gender field on the dependant worksheet, still have the same problem. Not sure what to say for the moment.

Thanks for looking at that @Elizabeth. I suspected it was a bit tricky and maybe not doable. But I thought I would ask anyway since I know you love a challenge :wink:

So, this has become a day about templates for me.

For those curious about how the above code works, I have broken it down in this help topic:
https://www.taxcycle.com/Documentation/Templates/Code/Sample-code-Tuition-transfer-from-a-dependant

Also, I have begun breaking out all reference to “hidden” or “invisible” field codes and conditions into this new Code reference help page. Hopefully this helps people find the codes they need. I try to add items to this page as I discover them.

https://www.taxcycle.com/Documentation/Templates/Code/Code-reference

3 Likes

The dependant worksheet shows “son” or “daughter” so couldn’t you use that to determine the gender of the individual dependant?

Yep. I was thinking of that. Now if we could just get @Cameron to add an if/then/else function or even better a Select Case function, coding something like that would be (and many other things) would be so much easier :wink:

1 Like

+1 on that @matthew. It would make life much easier.

We were talking about that today because everyone asks for it. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I have to offer my thanks @Elizabeth and I have already pulled your code into my tuition transfer letter.

I made a few changes, adding the format( ) around the amount of the tuition being transferred, changing the font and the spacing where the student signs and dates. Now if I could figure out how to do the same in my day job’s software. (They use a venerable competitor’s product.)

You’re very welcome @TimParris. It was a fun thing to work through.