TaxCycle T4 Box 45

TaxCycle gives you a yellow diagnostic warning if you do not enter a code in Box 45 of the 2023 T4 slip. This review message is not something that can be signed off with a review check mark, nor does it seem the message “Employer offered dental benefits information is missing” can be neutered in the Options Section of the 2023 T4 module.

My understanding was there were a couple of instances where you did not need to enter a code in Box 45;

One being an administrative CRA policy;

Administrative policy

For calendar year 2023 only, it is not mandatory to fill out the new box when and only when code 1 is applicable. This administrative policy applies only if all reasonable efforts have been made to comply with the reporting requirements.

The other instance was mentioned by BDO. While I realize that BDO is not a CRA authority, they do make a pretty firm assertion;

If the individual is no longer an employee on December 31 (even if they were an employee who had access to dental coverage on December 30), the box should be left blank.

I believe it was @sarka who initially linked the BDO information.

I’m trying to determine whether the field can be left blank in the case that BDO cited and how that would be possible using TaxCycle.

1 Like

The article itself says that Health Canada advises to leave the box blank in certain situations. [but only for 2023]

The CRA T4 xml specification document for box 45 had it listed as a required/mandatory field that’s why TaxCycle presently shows it as a critical review message:

In addition on the newsroom page a further note for reference:

We will have the message show as a caution (which would accept a user sign-off) rather than a critical message in our next release (coming within a few days) for those who have made all reasonable efforts in accordance with the Health Canada administrative policy to comply with the reporting requirements and choose not to complete the box.

~ Rob

1 Like

Ok thanks Rob,

I was mainly concerned with the statement by BDO in their article (above) that says if the individual is no longer an employee as of December 31st the box “should be left blank”.

Presumably BDO has received and passed on bad information.

My understanding is the same as @Rein and I got the information from the following web page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/completing-filing-information-returns/t4-information-employers/t4-slip.html.

According to the web page, it was updated January 3 2024. I’m not too concerned as I will likely fill in the box on all employees.

1 Like

I think this is another example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shocking at CRA!! :grinning:

1 Like