T3 Trust Number

I find it easier in a lot of cases to file the first T3 without a Trust Number. It would be nice to be able to sign off the warning about the number being missing or incomplete. I can’t seem to find a way to accomplish this for this warning. If I am missing something please enlighten me.

Any chance this can be changed to a warning which can be signed off?

Not 100% sure; however, I seem to remember something about CRA wanting us to apply for the Trust number prior to filing?

Not sure if it actually happened or was something CRA was wanting to do, or if i am just dreaming it

Still optional to apply first. I don’t seem to have the time frame a lot of times to apply first as it takes extra time to process. I usually let them assign once they receive the return. I don’t like having little warning flags when they are not needed and/or can’t be signed off.

“Any chance this can be changed to a warning which can be signed off?”

Any updates from Trilogy?

@Arliss

Sorry about the late response to your question. If you are filing a first T3 return for an estate before a T3 acccount number is available, simply enter T00-0000-00 in the Trust Account Number field in Info to bypass the missing trust number review message.

Steven

I am not sure that is ideal.

From CRA

Do I need to apply for a trust account number?

It is not necessary to apply for a trust account number prior to filing a T3 Return. The CRA will issue account numbers for all T3 Returns filed, which will appear on the notice of assessment.

If the CRA has assigned an account number to the trust, enter it in the “Trust account number” space provided on the T3 return. Include this number on all correspondence and payments related to the trust.

If you have not applied for a trust account number prior to filing your return, leave the “Trust account number” space on the return blank.

If this is the first return filed for the trust, indicate this in the space provided on the return.

Your solution prints zeros which is not blank.

@Arliss

Thanks for that reference. For the benefit of other forum members, this is where the reference is from:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/trsts/t3pp/pplytrstnmbr-eng.html

For the T3 slips though, CRA requires that all zeros to be printed, Here is the reference for that. (Look for “Box 14 – Account number”)
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/trsts/t3slp/cmpltng/bx/nstrctns-eng.html#bx14

So, I have made a change which will be in the upcoming release in a few days.

In Info, if you leave the trust account # blank, the missing account # review message will appear now with a QuickFix to enter all zeros. By entering all zeros, T3RET trust account number field will now be blank.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for pointing this out to us and I apologize for the lateness in responding.

Steven

1 Like

Great.

Any thoughts on the T3 - T776 topic?

I did like this fix but it has a not so desirable result in the Client Manager. Any T3 files with the aforementioned zeros entered get grouped together under one name. I can still see the files are different by the file name but you might want to change this somehow.

@Arliss

Try adding a unique client id to these files. Then client manager will rely on that to group them, not the trust number.

~ Cameron

Didn’t seem to help.

I found an indexing issue when the client ID was used in this context. This has been fixed and will ship in our next release.

1 Like

Issue seems to be there still. Will it be corrected in the next release?

Having this same issue here- after assigning unique client IDs and re-indexing, all of our new trusts with all-zero numbers have the same name listed in client manager and are not searchable.

I see that CRA have updated Arili$$ first early copy of 2016…
As of January 2018:

Do I need to apply for a trust account number?
It is not necessary to apply for a trust account number prior to filing a T3 Return by paper. The CRA will issue account numbers for all T3 Returns filed, which will appear on the notice of assessment. If you are eligible to file the T3 Return electronically and intend to take advantage of this service for the trust’s first return filed, you must apply for a trust account number prior to filing electronically.

If the CRA has assigned an account number to the trust, enter it in the Trust account number space provided on the T3 return. Include this number on all correspondence and payments related to the trust.

If you have not applied for a trust account number prior to filing your return, leave the Trust account number space on the return blank. You will be required to file the return by paper.

If this is the first return filed for the trust, indicate this in the space provided on the return.

I am posting under this topic, as it seems to at least reference my current conundrum. I have recently been unsuccessfully trying to access previously prepared T3 Trust returns - usually, but not always, prepared from a Final T1. Knowing I have done them & sent hard copies to the Executor for signature & filing, I am now finding they do not appear anywhere - T3 module or client manager or Windows Explorer. Thankfully in one case I had attached a pdf copy to a client email, which at least was a confirmation of some residual sanity!
I noticed that there was not a Trust number available on filing & I had used the T-00-000-00 option which traditionally has not been unusual for the intial T3 filing. Seemingly, this has resulted in no Tax Cycle copy - notwithstanding the usual ’ file save’ confirmation when intially completed. Where are these no-account files & how does one access them?
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.
Garfield

You should check the Options to see what folder your T3 returns are being saved to and what forms you have chosen to include in the print options. It sounds like you don’t have a folder setting for the T3’s. Also, you can go into the Client Manager and search for the T3 returns using the estate name.

Thanks Kevin; I believe you’ve pointed me toward the answer i.e. no folder setting for T3’s. Furthermore, I vaguely recall deleting the ‘First Name, Last Name’ default folder, which I now realize is likely where those missing files resided. Sometimes that guy in the mirror can be a real pita!
Appreciate your input, thanks.

I have the same guy in my office. Yes, often a pita. Happy to help.