T3 salutation and templates

Hello community… we are considering some improvements to the T3 salutation for templates to ensure consistency across modules. For those of you that complete T3 returns, I am hoping to gain a better understanding of your preferences for trust client communication.

1. Do you always use formal address for trust templates (ie Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms/Mx FirstName LastName) or would you like an option to address trust correspondence informally (ie Dear FirstName)?

2. Regardless of whether a template is formally or informally addressed, would you like nickname/preferred name to always be used in the salutation in place of first name if something is entered in the nick name field? Based on previous posts in Elizabeth’s thread for nickname I think the consensus is yes for personal returns. Is it the same for trust returns?

3. Where there are multiple trustees, would it be helpful to have an option to list all trustees or just the first trustee in the salutation / signature line for templates (ie engagement letter). Only the first trustee is necessary/used for CRA compliance to authorize the return for T3 EFILE, AuthRep and other related forms. Are there circumstances in which you would still have all trustees sign either templates of forms?

1. Never use
  2. Yes, please ALWAYS
  3. Would love to have flexibility on this to toggle in some circumstances where I like to have all signatures (i.e. an acrimonious estate)
  1. In most cases, we prefer informal (Dear FirstName). But, in certain circumstances, where that is not appropriate, we want to be able to use formal (Dear Mr/Ms LastName). We currently accomplish this by leaving the Title field blank unless the formal version is needed.
  2. Yes, if something is in the nickname field, we want to use that in the salutation.
  3. Yes - if there are co-trustees or co-executors, we currently edit/customize the correspondence to address them jointly. It would be handy if that was not necessary.
2 Likes
  1. Yes, please add informal option
  2. Definitely! Nickname is always the go to
  3. Haven’t come across this, but I imagine there would be cases where there is dispute or conflict between them. It would be good to have to protect yourself

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.