T1135 for deceased taxpayer

Client passed away last week. Preparing the 2023 T1. I’ve entered the Executor’s information in the “Life events” section of the info page.

Executor’s name shows up as the person signing on the T183 form. But only the taxpayer’s name shows up as the person signing the T1135. Should I just override this and type in the Executor’s name instead?

Also does anyone know how this will tie into TaxFolder. Should I setup the Executor as a Client on TaxFolder so I can send her the forms to sign and send her a copy of the return?

If I Print to TaxFolder, does it go to the email address of the Executor in life events or the email address under Contacts (which the deceased’s partner can access, but the partner is not the executor).

TIA

The executor of estate signs the T1135 … you need to override this.

Assuming you accounted for the deemed disposition on those assets… that’s another discussion for another time.

The deemed disposition is for 2024 as the taxpayer passed away just last week. So, the 2023 return that I’m preparing now is just a regular T1 return. I just wasn’t sure why TaxCycle didn’t automatically replace the name of the signing person on the T1135 like it did with the T183.

Thanks for confirming this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have added this to the calcs of the name on the T1135 such that if a legal representative name is entered, we use it instead of the client’s name and also bring in the title, if one is entered.
This will be in our next release.
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Allen. On a related note, another thing you might want to check is the Deceased Client Letter. It correctly informs the legal representative that the return was transmitted through EFILE. However, even though the T1135 was also transmitted electronically, it still asks the legal representative to sign the T1135 and mail it to the Ottawa Tax Centre. Looks like it doesn’t pick up the fact that it was filed electronically.