Senior's tax returns

When we do a tax return for a senior who can’t come to your office due to a physical situation and doesn’t have an email, how does everyone deal with this situation? Is it appropriate to get an e-signature through another family member’s email? I got a picture ID sent to me for identification.

I snail mail enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope. It’s getting a bit late for that, though.

From “msbuttar via protaxcommunity.com” <notifications@taxcycle.discoursemail.com>
To neal@nealnicholson.ca
Date 2023-04-21 8:37:10 AM
Subject [protaxcommunity.com] [Tax Topics] Senior’s tax returns

1 Like

In small town Alberta, I go to the care facility for an in-person signature. Less than 3k to anywhere in town. :smile:

3 Likes

I filed a return similar to this just two weeks ago. I used e-courier to send the daughter the forms requiring signatures. Had the daughter print the forms on her home printer, take the forms to the parents to have the parents sign the forms, then once signed, the daughter scanned the forms and sent the signed forms back to me using e-courier.

I have another family in the same situation who live a lot closer to me. In this case, the sister is picking up the ill brother’s tax package and forms that need signing, she’ll deliver the package, have him sign the forms and then bring me back the signed forms.

I have several other senior shut-in clients that I personally make house calls to, both picking up and dropping off. These are all paper signatures.

I know my clients quite well, as many have been coming to me for years, so this process works quite well. When I know clients have a computer and the family member is there to assist them, I’ve also in the past sent the documents via Adobe Sign where they can draw their signature on the document. What I like about Adobe Sign in this scenario is that it links the document to be signed to the person’s name who you require a signature from, and not the name associated with the email address. So you can use the same email address for several people (husband, wife, or parents) with no problem.

In contrast, if you use e-courier’s e-signature solution, the name below the signature line on the signed receipt document will show the name of the e-courier account holder. So if you send the document to Gertrude but the e-courier account is set up in Donald’s name, the bottom line on the e-courier signature confirmation page will show Donald’s name instead of Gertrude’s name. In this scenario, you have to change the account holder’s name to Gertrude’s name before sending out her documents to be signed since e-courier doesn’t allow you to use the same email address more than once (for two different people). And when you receive the signed documents, you have to print them using that same account holders name (Gertrude instead of Donald) for Gertrude’s name to be printed below the signature line. I’ve sent e-courier support staff an email to address this to allow the same email address to be used for more than one person so that we don’t have to repeatedly go into the contacts to change the name associated with that email address. I don’t know how other e-signature providers are handling this situation, like TaxFolder, Signnow, Docusign, etc.

3 Likes

I also use and like Adobe’s e-signature. It’s fast and convenient for everyone. Thanks, everyone, for your time and suggestions.

1 Like

Yes, we “express post”, but with 9 days left it is a bit late.

If I know the client well I’ll mail it out and have them phone me when they have signed it and if it’s the deadline day I’ll file based on that phone call. A couple days later I’ll get the signed form in the mail.

1 Like

Typically I would deal with an adult son or daughter who would print the form and bring to Mom and Dad. They would scan the signed form and email back to me and I accept that as a “paper” signature. In some cases where Mom or Dad is really physically challenged, I have used the daughter’s power of attorney for her signature on parent’s behalf.

If the son or daughter has an approved T1013 on file (offline access), I think they can sign on parent’s behalf? Not too sure about that one though.

As accountants and tax preparers with online access, are we authorized to sign?

Level 1 - Allow access to information only
Level 2 - Allow access to information and to make certain account changes
Level 3 - Delegate authority and allow access to information and to make certain account changes

• Examples for the last level include Power of Attorney, Trustee, Executor/Executrix/Personal representative of an estate

Except in the role of power of attorney for a friend overseas, I have not signed any CRA documents under level 3.

FYI:
As the owner or director of a business, you can authorize a representative to have level 3 delegated authority. This level of authorization is almost the same as yours, allowing delegated authorities to authorize other representatives and make changes to your business accounts. They will always have both offline and online access.

With this level of authorization, a director’s approval is not needed to authorize other representatives. If a delegated authority leaves their position, they should authorize another representative to fill their role. This ensures that owners or directors do not need to approve a new delegated authority.

1 Like

Only a Power of Attorney or an Executor can sign the T183 form for a client. The T1013 by itself does not allow for that person to sign the T183. If the T1013 were allowed, then we, as tax professionals who already have the signed T1013 or AuthRep consent, could all sign our clients T183 to file their returns without having to go through the process of acquiring their signature.

2 Likes

Thanks! Of course I am aware we cannot sign off on our own documents but I only request level 2 access from my clients. I was unaware if someone with level 3 could sign on someone’s behalf. Although just looking at the forms and the new form Auth-01 doesn’t even have an option for level 3.

Thanks for the clarifying @helga_spence :slightly_smiling_face:

CRA does not offer a form for Level 3 as legal documents like Power of Attorney, Trust document naming the trustee, a will, court document and the like must be submitted.

2 Likes

Hand delivery is how I do it. Yes it takes time but it affords me the opportunity to go through the return with them.

I make about 3 trips a year driving around small communities around my city picking up and dropping off for house bound senior clients, who can no longer drive and have no taxi/transit service to get to me or any other accountant. I do this for long time clients and charge a $15 fee but bulk about 8 pick ups and drop offs in one day. This is really in situations where they have no other options and no post office nearby to get to. Otherwise, I use Canada Post.

I do the same with some seniors, sometimes to nursing homes as well. I really enjoy this part of tax prep :slight_smile:

I do that as well. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, but there is no harm in taking a bit of time to visit.

" I got a picture ID sent to me for identification"

And just how does having it mailed to you verify their identity? This is exactly why more and more requirements and restrictions get slapped on us. You MUST meet the person face to face at least once to ensure that the ID you were given match the person you are dealing with!

Yup I agree but this is the way of the future. During the last 3 years, I sold my home, purchased a new one, applied for a mortgage, and opened a new bank account with a completely new bank… ALL remotely! Without ever meeting in person or signing by hand! It’s pretty scary!

1 Like

And we wonder why identity theft is rampant…