New Recovery benifits(Covid 19)

Hi Tax Cycle Community
Can someone explain me my client has just finish her maternity leave in Sept. 2020. Her employer told her that there is not enough work and she has under two year old baby so she cannot send him in daycare too. Day-cares are not taking baby under two year of age. she already got Recovery Benefits in October and November but now service Canada want to know child name, date of birth and school information but the child is under 2 year age.Can anybody here explain is she eligible for Recovery Benefits or not?


I do not know about the recovery benefits, I would recommend following whatever Service Canada is looking for.

Although we guide our clients… it is a bit far stretched for us to get involved in their personal EI claims.

I live in New Brunswick, our daycares take children under 2…that is a very odd statement to say daycares do not take children under two. As a matter of fact, I have a client who has a daycare in Notre Dame, NB and she takes babies… the Daycare my child goes to in Salisbury, NB also takes babies. Very familiar that daycares in Moncton, Dieppe & Riverview, NB also take babies.

Maybe the daycare she would like is at capacity or maybe she needs to go outside her community/neighbourhood or look at in home child care, if that is her problem?


Hi, your client may qualify Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefits instead of Canada Recovery Benefits.

The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they are sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19. The CRCB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Here is the link for further information:

Is your client not working because she was laid off or because she can’t find childcare? If her employer can’t find work for her, they should issue her an ROE so she can claim Unemployment Insurance. If she can’t work because she can’t get childcare, then the CRCB is the way to go.

1 Like