Info page when separating people

We found that the spouse information remains on the information page below after we separate people due to divorce, separation or widowed. This has to be removed manually. If missed during preparation, then the former spouse’s information shows up on the T1 return or the letters.

Is it possible to have the “Spouse fields” clear when a separation of people occurs? Thanks!

Legally, the spouse was the spouse for part of the year and there is a claim for that spouse that is possible. You do need to keep the separated spouse on the info screen for the year of separation.

The software can’t remove the spouse - That is the preparer’s job after evaluating the options available to the taxpayer.

Putting a diagnostic message on the spouse on the year of marital status change would be acceptable instead.

I would suggest that you customize the client letter in that situation (meaning that you have to edit it by hand.)

Okay,

Yes, that’s right! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I appreciate it! We will need to be more diligent in checking the spouse’s information is removed. A diagnostic message would be helpful for the year following separation to remove the information!

Have a wonderful day!

Teena Johnsson | Accounting Technician
P: 403.638.3116 | F: 403.638.9166 | Box 1963 | #201, 101-6th Street S.W. | Sundre, AB | T0M 1X0
www.valbpc.com

ValerieBurrellLogo

Access Sharefile our client web portal for secure file sharing

Chartered Professional Accountants Help You Make Better Decisions

Hello all!

Consider it added for next release. The review message will show when the marital status is set to divorced, separated, widowed or single and if there is any spouse information in Info under the spouse section. Actually we already had a message but it was only validating if the marital status was set to single. As such, I modified the conditions to include the other scenarios. The review message can be signed-off if need be.

Have a great day!

~ Annie

Oh! How wonderful! Thanks so much!

Teena

Teena Johnsson | Accounting Technician
P: 403.638.3116 | F: 403.638.9166 | Box 1963 | #201, 101-6th Street S.W. | Sundre, AB | T0M 1X0
www.valbpc.com

ValerieBurrellLogo

Access Sharefile our client web portal for secure file sharing

Chartered Professional Accountants Help You Make Better Decisions

I agree, with this, after you decouple the returns, and change to say common law, the spouse fields are hidden but the data still exists

The program should prompt you if you want to clear the spouses information in these situations and delete it if I say yes. The section should not hide until the data is removed 100%

1 Like

I agree with Tim above.

IMHO the existing diagnostic should remain as it is.