How do you use the nickname field?

Hi everyone! I’m hoping to get some insight into how people currently use the nickname field on the Info worksheet. We’re looking at some potential adjustments to its use and I would like to understand how people are currently using it.

I use it often. I prefer the Nickname in the client letter, invoice, any pretty much any correspondence.

• Sometime a person goes by the second name rather than first as listed at CRA
  • Shorten from formal name to common name
5 Likes

I use it for personalizing the client correspondence. I also use it in my print configuration to print tax returns to specific folders. I have some clients where the parent and a child have the same legal name but have different “common” names they go by. The nickname field helps me distinguish between the returns printed for the father and those for the son with the same name and save them to different folders within the family folder.

2 Likes

We use it constantly as we have tons of clients who are, for example, legal name William but goes by Pete. Helps us keep CRA happy with matching their names, and keep client happy to use their preferred name in all our correspondence.

3 Likes

Hi Elizabeth,

I use it all the time for when people that do not use their “legal” first name, example William but goes by Bill etc.

When I generate my client letter is set to use the nickname. Would be nice if it could be used in other areas on the cletter, such as with the T1032, in the body of the letter it refers to the first name and not the nickname that is used by the client.

1 Like

I agree that would be nice.

We use it for any client who goes by a different name than what CRA has on file. We use the typical letter templates in TaxCycle, so I like to be able to print or send those letters addressed to the client’s “commonly used” name. We use this feature regularly/often. Please don’t eliminate it?
Thanks!

1 Like

I use it throughout my letters. The address on any letter/invoice is to their legal name, but every other reference to them by name on their or their spouse’s correspondence has custom coding to refer to them by nickname.

It would be nice if there was a setting somewhere to choose to use the nicknames without having to do as much custom coding!

4 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback. Not to worry, we don’t intend to eliminate it.

I wanted to understand how people are using the field as we have a few more use cases that we may need to look at how to use this information better. (Like people with a first name on file with Service Canada and how that figures into the templates.)

I was also wondering if we should rename the field to “Preferred name” as that seems to be how people are using it. I also don’t think we are using this preferred name/nickname as consistently in templates as we could.

1 Like

Yes please

2 Likes

Currently it looks like the “Initial” from the “Personal Information” page is added to the “First name” field on the T1. There was some mention somewhere for new filers needing to use the names as on their SIN card and a mention that the “Initial” field can handle many characters and contain the full second name.

Any thought of changing that up and increasing the visible space?

1 Like

It is indeed the need to match the info on the SIN card that is driving our discussion here about the nickname field. I’ll pass on that idea too.

1 Like

I think “Preferred name” would be better. Can it be used in more than the Cletter?

Thank you

Can it be used in more than the Cletter?

That is part of what’s up for discussion. (Some things might be easier than others to change, so no promises.) But, the more input the better.

Would you see it replacing the first name in the following places?

• Client Manager
  • TaxFolder dashboard
  • TaxFolder portal
  • TaxCycle sidebar
  • Worksheets (where legal name not required)
  • Templates
  • File names
  • Other (please comment below)
0 voters

Would love to see it as preferred name!!

1 Like

Re: Other:
Field codes used to generate a PDF filename when printing (not sure if this concept is included in “File names”)

3 Likes

Oooh! Yes, in the file names would be great!

My client who has used their middle name for +50 years on everything HATES seeing her first name on the file names. It is hard enough getting +70yos to use the computer without making them hate looking for the files!

1 Like

I have several transgender clients, and I know they are always so grateful that the only thing I give them with their dead name is the documents it legally has to be on for CRA.

3 Likes

You’ve all inspired me. I’m taking a look at some of these related issues in the templates today. No promises yet as it is a bit like peeling an onion, but thanks for giving the feedback and I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I have come up with some beta changes to the client letters, invoices and salutation templates. The changes are quite extensive and I don’t want to risk putting them in a TaxCycle release at that is time of year.

However, I would be willing to share these templates with anyone wanting to try them during the heat of season and give me feedback. Message me if you would like the link to download the templates. I’m planning to send them out on Monday.

1 Like