Housing co-op charge

housing co-op charge claimed as rent for Education Tax Credit, specifically MB479.


Yes, I have claimed these as Rent on the MB479.
The receipt the tenants receive is much like a Rent Receipt vs a Property Tax Statement for a property that they own.

  • The co-op housing individual owns a share of the entire complex and do not own their individual housing unit.
  • There is no mention of school taxes on their receipts.
  • They do not receive the $700 Education Property Tax Credit Advance and thus claim it by filing their taxes and specifying their housing charge paid in the year on the MB479.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Gerry. Your explanation cleared up a few things for me and added some clarity.

1 Like